Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pet-Friendly Flight Accommodations

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

We've all been on flights where the dog just walks on and lays down on the floor.

I even pet the dog sometimes.  

The rules for service animals and non service animals are different.

vjf09
Explorer B

True, the rules are different, but they open a precedent that dogs don’t necessarily must be confined to a cage during flights. 

Of course, a service dog is highly trained, but it doesn't mean that other dogs cannot be well-trained and behave appropriately in various situations. I, for example, invest significant effort into training my dog, as he is with me whenever is allowed.

Btw, he actually behaves better than some small dogs that "attack" him when we're out and about.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, there is no precedent. The current rules apparently require that pets be caged. 

vjf09
Explorer B

Haha FBI, DNA - you’re funny! 

On solution that comes to my mind is that the airline can require the dog has a microchip, for example. 

A microchip for a dog is like a Social Security Number (SSN) for a human. Just like an SSN is a unique identifier for a person, a microchip contains a unique identification number for a dog. It helps in identifying and locating the owner if the dog gets lost or separated.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yeah, I know what a microchip is and they don't always register with the reader.  It is a rather passive system anyway and the animal rights people will barbeque you for requiring a microchip.

I believe that the FBI's most wanted is the way to go.  Post pictures of Fido, Barney and Ellie at the Post Office and other public places.

vjf09
Explorer B

A microchip is far away from animal cruelty. It's rather recommended not only to increase the chances of finding your pet but also to help hold people accountable and prevent animal cruelty. 

I just googled about scanners not being able to read a microchip because this info really concerned me. It seems the risk that this will happen is very low. According to American Veterinary Medical Association, "Universal scanners are becoming more available, and solve the challenge of detecting different microchip frequencies."

... but maybe you're right, the FBI's most wanted is a better alternative! 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, the insights and ideas on this board are some of the most cutting-edge ideas in the universe.

bec102896
Aviator A

How about if you bring your dog it acts up or does harm to someone you ban that customer from brining dogs on a future flight because usually the dogs behavior comes from its owner. A dog owner who trains its dog to behave and doesn’t tolerate bad behavior will act better than the owner who wants the dog to be a fighter and act up same goes for kids on planes it all goes back to the parenting (parenting a dog vs a kid) 

floridaguy
Aviator C

...and next time the travel companion brings the same dog and the system is broken...

It is really time to get the FBI posters going.  I am seeing on the FBI's most wanted a tab dedicated to banned Southwest doggies.  I guess you can list them for what they are "charged" with but until they are tried and found guilty, we must presume that they are innocent.

vjf09
Explorer B

That's a good idea!