Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Power Bank Question

h2ngo
Explorer C

Hello i'm flying from SMF to SEA and going camping but i'm not sure what the regulations are on power banks.  I have a 60,000 mAH camping powerbank but not sure if i can take it or if it should be in carry on or check in.  i bought from Anker last week just for this trip.

Anker Power Bank 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Power Bank Question

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Power bank should be in transported in your carryon, not checked

Safe Travels

h2ngo
Explorer C

Thanks! any idea if it's too big or too much storage?  some other threads have said the size was determining factor others have said the output is determining factor.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer A

@parpitt1 is correct.  This power bank cannot be checked and can only travel in your carry-on bag.

That being said, I suspect that it may be too large.  I recall that these types of power banks are limited to 100 watt hours.  Yours is 192 watt hours.  Plus, I think its size alone will bring it under scrutiny.  I wouldn't risk it.

I checked SWA Help Center and didn't find your particular question addressed...and I think it's an important question.  I would send a DM via X [Twitter] to SWA.  Specifically, let them know its dimensions and watt hours. Save their response if it's a go...just in case you get pushback from TSA.   And it would be really helpful to let others in the community know the answer and/or your experience if you decide to travel with it.

Safe travels!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

@parpitt1 is correct.  This power bank cannot be checked and can only travel in your carry-on bag.

That being said, I suspect that it may be too large.  I recall that these types of power banks are limited to 100 watt hours.  Yours is 192 watt hours.  Plus, I think its size alone will bring it under scrutiny.  I wouldn't risk it.

I checked SWA Help Center and didn't find your particular question addressed...and I think it's an important question.  I would send a DM via X [Twitter] to SWA.  Specifically, let them know its dimensions and watt hours. Save their response if it's a go...just in case you get pushback from TSA.   And it would be really helpful to let others in the community know the answer and/or your experience if you decide to travel with it.

Safe travels!!

Oh - it's 160 Wh "with permission" for laptop and other equipment so this would still be over that amount.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Here's the FAA link: 

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

I don't think these are being checked very strictly for anything that fits easily in your backpack. I have this one that seems to be allowed. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh/dp/B00X5RV14Y?th=1

They key point is that it may be used to power your laptop.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZevSupport
Aviator C

V cool, I didn't know of this!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

h2ngo
Explorer C

I Dm'd SWA and they said it was ok but quoted the same FAA regulation page you had already linked saying the limit was 160 Watt hours.  So while i think this might get let through, the size of it will bring scrutiny and if they look too closely it might get nixed.  it's probably not worth worth losing at TSA.

h2ngo_0-1725480526102.png

h2ngo
Explorer C
Solution

i followed up with SW and they confirmed it's too much battery to be allowed.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer A

Thank you so much for following up!