Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same Day Standby - Direct vs Non-Direct Flights

TonyinFL
Explorer C

I like the idea of the newly introduced same day standby policy but was wondering how it applies when it comes to direct and non-direct flights.  For example, if I search for a flight from Tampa to San Juan, on the same day there may be a variety of options i.e. direct, 1 stop, and 2 stops. 

If I am initially booked on a direct flight can I fly standby on a flight with one or more stops or would it only work with another direct flight? 

Conversely, if I am booked on a flight with one or more stops, can I fly standby on a flight that is direct?  And if such a change is not allowed, would I have to fly standby on another flight that is not direct with an identical stop(s) or can the stop(s) be different?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Same Day Standby - Direct vs Non-Direct Flights

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@TonyinFL wrote:

I like the idea of the newly introduced same day standby policy but was wondering how it applies when it comes to direct and non-direct flights.  For example, if I search for a flight from Tampa to San Juan, on the same day there may be a variety of options i.e. direct, 1 stop, and 2 stops. 

If I am initially booked on a direct flight can I fly standby on a flight with one or more stops or would it only work with another direct flight? 

Conversely, if I am booked on a flight with one or more stops, can I fly standby on a flight that is direct?  And if such a change is not allowed, would I have to fly standby on another flight that is not direct with an identical stop(s) or can the stop(s) be different?

Hello-

This question appeared to come up a few years ago:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards/A-list-standby-for-flight-with-stops/td-p/89924

@bec102896 described in that post that it's possible to do this but if you elect to do a Same Day Standby from a direct flight to a flight with a connection, you'll want to make sure you can clear the second flight too so you don't risk getting stuck in a layover city:

@bec102896 wrote:

You can standby for an earlier flight with connection(s) but when you are cleared for the 1st flight you may not be cleared form the connection flight so you will want to make sure there are seats on the connection flight as you will then be on standby for the 2nd flight. You will know if your cleared by the boarding pass they give you it will either be a standby pass (no boarding position or a boarding pass with position) if you get a standby pass check in at the counter when you get to your new next gate and let them know your there in case they cannot clef you right then. 

Here is what I recommend you do before you take the risk on standby with a connection flight:

use the mobile app, Southwest.com, or the mobile site and search your flight as if you wanted to book another seat but search 8 people (the maximum number of passengers you can book on one reservation) and see if it still shows available seats. I usually do this the day before I want to do a standby with connection reservation and I do it as I am pulling up to the airport before putting myself on standby as inventory may have changed. If I see 8 seats available then I will proceed with standby. 

If checking bags they usually wont transfer bags checked at the ticket counter so I would do carry on bags only when doing standby. When you are cleared at the gate for the flight you could check your bag at that point if you wanted to. 

Also if your doing standby on a full flight they may not clear you until 10min before the flight so you will probably have a middle seat as you will miss your priority boarding opportunity and most everyone else would be boarded. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@TonyinFL wrote:

Hello-

This question appeared to come up a few years ago:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards/A-list-standby-for-flight-with-stops/td-p/89924

@bec102896 described in that post that it's possible to do this but if you elect to do a Same Day Standby from a direct flight to a flight with a connection, you'll want to make sure you can clear the second flight too so you don't risk getting stuck in a layover city:

@bec102896 wrote:

You can standby for an earlier flight with connection(s) but when you are cleared for the 1st flight you may not be cleared form the connection flight so you will want to make sure there are seats on the connection flight as you will then be on standby for the 2nd flight. You will know if your cleared by the boarding pass they give you it will either be a standby pass (no boarding position or a boarding pass with position) if you get a standby pass check in at the counter when you get to your new next gate and let them know your there in case they cannot clef you right then. 

Here is what I recommend you do before you take the risk on standby with a connection flight:

use the mobile app, Southwest.com, or the mobile site and search your flight as if you wanted to book another seat but search 8 people (the maximum number of passengers you can book on one reservation) and see if it still shows available seats. I usually do this the day before I want to do a standby with connection reservation and I do it as I am pulling up to the airport before putting myself on standby as inventory may have changed. If I see 8 seats available then I will proceed with standby. 

If checking bags they usually wont transfer bags checked at the ticket counter so I would do carry on bags only when doing standby. When you are cleared at the gate for the flight you could check your bag at that point if you wanted to. 

Also if your doing standby on a full flight they may not clear you until 10min before the flight so you will probably have a middle seat as you will miss your priority boarding opportunity and most everyone else would be boarded. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

This just occurred to me - I wouldn't normally standby onto a connecting flight but in theory its fine - do you have to pay the extra $5.60 though? I don't think I've ever done that but I can't think of too many times I would have standby onto a connecting flight if I wasn't already on a connecting flight. 

But that's the only issue I see @TonyinFL  nothing would prevent you from making the change other than the logistics as mentioned by @SoCalFlyer97 and @bec102896 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TonyinFL
Explorer C

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I guess I thought this policy was something new.  But it is really an existing policy that now simply includes the “Wanna Get Away” fare class.  And as such it should be handled similarly. 

When flying “standby” on a flight with a connection(s), it sounds like it is possible to get significantly delayed.  So one could be cleared for the 1st flight but only be on the standby list for the connection(s).  At the connecting airport, if it turns out there is no  seat available on the flight you were on the “standby” list for, I assume Southwest would still be on the hook to eventually allow you to reach your final destination via flying “standby” without being charged a fare differential?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TonyinFL wrote:

When flying “standby” on a flight with a connection(s), it sounds like it is possible to get significantly delayed.  So one could be cleared for the 1st flight but only be on the standby list for the connection(s).  At the connecting airport, if it turns out there is no  seat available on the flight you were on the “standby” list for, I assume Southwest would still be on the hook to eventually allow you to reach your final destination via flying “standby” without being charged a fare differential?

Two pathways here:

• If there are additional flights that fit your destination then you'd keep "standbying" until you got on one.
  • The original agent may not allow you to standby if the situation looks poor and there isn't a backup option - for instance if you are trying to catch a late flight and it's mostly full they prefer not to send you to Denver for instance and have you end up waiting overnight to catch an early morning one. But the same flight earlier in the day no problem, you have many chances to make it.

bec102896
Aviator A

Hi there I will add that back in 2019 (when I posted that) A List was the only same day standby along with anytime/BS fares that could switch now you have a lot of extra people who could standby (WGA and WGA+)  so making sure seats exists will be even more important because you could go from 1 to 11 in no time (depending on your route and if weather may be coming or an event ends early) and it could end up hurting you with say a later arrival or unplanned overnight layover 

you may ask how can I tell how many seats are left well 2 ways 

1. Act like you want to book the flight you would do standby on for 8 people if it says unavailable then try another number less than 8 if there isn’t at least 6 seats proceed with caution 

2. Ask the agent at the airport or call SW and see if they think you would be able to make your connection being on standby the whole way 

For non A List I think I’d still recommend paying the small fare different at booking to go from WGA to WGA+ just so I can get someday confirmed and hopefully avoid standby the airline world is crazy and the last thing you want is to have a standby backfire because a flight fills up after your first flight leaves (remember any flights that get cancelled they can take your seat if they get reaccom to your flight with a confirmed seat) 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TonyinFL wrote:

I was thinking about this some more and since you gave two specific airports we can delve into it a little deeper. 

1. There is consistently a midday flight from TPA to SJU direct on weekdays, earlier on Sunday and later on Saturday.
  2. Saying that you would standby on weekdays would be a 5 a.m. flight and you may have some connection through BWI on most days, and on weekends it gets a little goofier see below...you can standby on Saturday to a 6 a.m. flight that goes through DENVER to get to MCO and eventually to SJU eight hours later than if you had the original flight.

DancingDavidE_0-1692902822993.png

• Overall this is a pretty dismal route for standby options
  • Weekdays go through BWI so you are extending your travel time significantly in order to arrive an hour or two earlier - you'd be getting to TPA at 4-5 a.m. to do this.
  • Weekends are even worse, you can standby on Saturday to go through Denver!
  • On Sunday is the only day when the standby flight is at a reasonable time and gets you into SJU seven hours earlier to make it worthwhile. Otherwise forget it on this route at least for the sample schedule next month. Let us know if you are looking at a time when the schedule is more frequent maybe it would make sense then.

DancingDavidE_1-1692903125808.png

If we didn't answer your last question in the prior posts - the stops don't matter, you can get any selection of the same or different stops depending on what is available. I think you have to pay the $5.60 to add stops, not sure if you get it back by removing stops.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

I think you have to pay the $5.60 to add stops, not sure if you get it back by removing stops.

A got a promotional follow-up email of Southwest's current $49 sale earlier today with a side promo of Free Same Day Standby for All Fares. The fine print on the bottom of the email describes how the taxes are handled:

List for same-day standby via the Southwest® app or gate agent. Group bookings and Unaccompanied Minors are not eligible. Government taxes and fees may apply but refunds will be provided. Visit Southwest.com/standby for details. Where available. Available only on WiFi-enabled aircraft.

bec102896
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

I think you have to pay the $5.60 to add stops, not sure if you get it back by removing stops.

A got a promotional follow-up email of Southwest's current $49 sale earlier today with a side promo of Free Same Day Standby for All Fares. The fine print on the bottom of the email describes how the taxes are handled:

List for same-day standby via the Southwest® app or gate agent. Group bookings and Unaccompanied Minors are not eligible. Government taxes and fees may apply but refunds will be provided. Visit Southwest.com/standby for details. Where available. Available only on WiFi-enabled aircraft.

This fine print is interesting to me because if you have a WGA+ fare or A List WGA and do a same day confirmed you may have to pay $5-$10 if you go from non stop to connection (at least for non points flights) the app shows me +$5 for a flight that is a no plane change or $10 if it’s a connection I’ve paid that multiple times no refunds 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

This fine print is interesting to me because if you have a WGA+ fare or A List WGA and do a same day confirmed you may have to pay $5-$10 if you go from non stop to connection (at least for non points flights) the app shows me +$5 for a flight that is a no plane change or $10 if it’s a connection I’ve paid that multiple times no refunds 

That's the more common one for me where I booked a connection but trying to get on a direct flight as an A-list - I don't recall any refunds of the $5.60 unless it happened automatically, maybe I didn't notice. And I didn't "care" - after all I'm getting home earlier, it's worth $5.60.