Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travelling with Invisible Disabilities

Marciebrat
Explorer C

Hi . I am going to be flying in June from Louisville KY to Manchester NH . My son who is 18 . Has Intellectual disability and a rod from his hip to his knee . He has never flown and is quite scared. I myself have have flown before . But now have a very bad back . I know my son can't stand in line do to the pain he has . Please help me 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Travelling with Invisible Disabilities

franktravel
Aviator B

You can ask for wheelchair assistance.

"Wheelchair assistance is available from the airport curb to/from gates and between gates for connecting flights. Note: Because we have no means to identify Customers who require assistance on sight, Customers who have requested assistance must identify themselves as needing our help upon arrival to the airport, at any connection points, and upon arrival to their destination."

Marciebrat
Explorer C

Thank You 

rpbroussard1
Explorer C

I need to reserve a wheelchair for my trip to Nashbille on March 23, 2018

franktravel
Aviator B

Here is a tip:

From the Southwest Airlines home page click on Flight/Hotel/Car. Now on the left click on Manage reservation, next fill in your information. Now under your name you will see "Disability options"

here you will be able to add assistance to your ticket.

TheBarefooter
Adventurer C

When you arrive at the airport, you can ask for a wheelchair at the ticket desk and you'll be able to pre-board with your son, too. 

To prepare your son, take a trip to the local airport and show him around so that he becomes familiar with it. You can also view videos on YouTube together--perhaps he might like the one of the Southwest singing attendant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0Yf1CAsuQ

I have a sister in law who wouldn't fly for years and years--she took her first Southwest flight two years ago and has been flying ever since!