Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What are the best things about flying Southwest?

CarlyeThornton
Employee
Employee

Traveling is stressful enough as it is, and that’s why Southwest offers so many flexible policies
to make the experience easier. How do you take advantage of these perks?

I’m always boasting our two free checked bags policy to my friends and family. We love to have allllll
the clothing options when travelling.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: What are the best things about flying Southwest?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CarlyeThornton wrote:

Traveling is stressful enough as it is, and that’s why Southwest offers so many flexible policies
to make the experience easier. How do you take advantage of these perks?

I’m always boasting our two free checked bags policy to my friends and family. We love to have allllll
the clothing options when travelling.

I especially like taking swimwear and workout clothes that I never use. Couldn't take the extra gym shoes without the free checked bag though!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

plusmommy
Explorer A

As a plus size woman, I'm so incredibly thankful for the Customer of Size Policy!

Getting that second seat allows me to travel with dignity, and I'm so thankful that the Southwest staff has never made me feel embarrassed about this need. I only fly with Southwest because this policy has dramatically reduced my travel anxiety. 🥹❤️

bec102896
Aviator A

@plusmommy wrote:

As a plus size woman, I'm so incredibly thankful for the Customer of Size Policy!

Getting that second seat allows me to travel with dignity, and I'm so thankful that the Southwest staff has never made me feel embarrassed about this need. I only fly with Southwest because this policy has dramatically reduced my travel anxiety. 🥹❤️

I agree that it is a great policy keeps everyone comfortable without making a person go broke just because they are shaped differently than others. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Gotta LUV the No Change Fee policy!

OAK (39, 56) 10.17.2023.png

That allows me to re-price my booked flights during a sale or a fare drop and pocket the difference in fare in the form of a Flight Credit...Or if needed, I can freely cancel or postpone trips if plans change (even up to 10 minutes prior), with only being subject to any difference in fare for such changes.

One example: SoCalFlyer97 will be in the Lone Star State later in the summer; Southwest would be taking me back home and I booked the flight in February. I did a price check of the return flight this week and the fare dropped by $29 from my original booking; $29 travel credit thus goes back to SoCalFlyer97 with zero fees!

Thumbs up to No Change Fees!

On of my other favorites...Flexibility with multiple departures daily too. See my other reply:
https://community.southwest.com/t5/Inflight-Experience/What-do-you-love-about-Southwest-Airlines/m-p...

jasminealley
Explorer B

I cannot express enough how much I love Southwest’s no cancellation fees!!! Especially when traveling with a toddler, there’s no stress if I need to cancel a trip. It also changes the way I book travel; if there’s a good flight deal somewhere, I just book it. Then over the next week or two, I look for hotels/rental cars/things to do. If dates don’t work out, if lodging is too expensive, or if I simply change my mind, I just cancel it last minute.
Also, with the two free checked bags policy, it’s so nice to never have to pay to check a travel crib!

JameGumb
Explorer C

The only reason I fly SWA is because I live closest to Midway airport. The airline has really gone downhill over the last five years. SWA used to be on-time, affordable, and overall solid. That is no longer the case. Even on my last flight the attendant bumped no less than four times. I was on the aisle and she was a large woman. It's tight. I get it. But if you are going to bump into me at least have the professionalism and courtesy to apologize. Standards are so low at SWA. Changes need to be made.

I'll hang up now and wait for the same apologist to come on the thread and defend SWA. He knows who he is.

sondvm
Explorer C

Love that they have a Rapid Rewards Program when you use a Rapid Rewards Chase credit card.  I haven't paid for a ticket in at least 18-20 years.  We use our points to book flights and if you get enough points, you can have a companion pass for the year.  You can earn a priority level and that gives you priority security screening.

You gotta buy stuff somehow. Might as well use a Rapid Rewards credit card!

Love 2 free bags, free cancellation, great website that is easy to use, friendly people on the phone when you need help, friendly people at the airport, awesome flight attendants, and, best of all, great pilots!

Mlburrell
Explorer C

My husband I fly SW because they have more affordable flights.  We thought about applying for the credit card but were trying to refrain from racking up credit card bills.  However, when you mentioned that you hadn't purchased any flights in 18-20 years, daylight set in.  I may consider that for this purpose and see how it works. 

Also, it is one of few airlines that still allow two bag check-ins with a carry on.  I love that because I pack heavy. 

danielleprice
Explorer B

I love that SWA makes it SO EASY to be flexible and roll with the punches. When I travel to my hometown to visit family, I find myself making a quick flight change after deciding that I want to linger a little longer with them. The last time I did this? This morning! The app and using primary points to book flights make it such an easy, low-stakes switcheroo.  SWA is just the best, no other airline offers that level of flexibility!