Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Youth Traveler Layover

tyesteffke
Explorer C

Hello!

I tried to book a Young Traveler ticket for myself (14) on a roundtrip that had a layover on both flights. However, the reservation didn't work so I called customer service and they said that YTs cannot travel on a flight with a layover. Is this true? It does not say so on the YT policy website (only overnight connections). If this isn't true, how would I go about purchasing a ticket?

Thank you!

A (confused) young traveler

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Youth Traveler Layover

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@tyesteffke wrote:

Hello!

I tried to book a Young Traveler ticket for myself (14) on a roundtrip that had a layover on both flights. However, the reservation didn't work so I called customer service and they said that YTs cannot travel on a flight with a layover. Is this true? It does not say so on the YT policy website (only overnight connections). If this isn't true, how would I go about purchasing a ticket?

Thank you!

A (confused) young traveler

Double check the age in your profile, the page does mention this which implies a connection should be allowed:

• Your child has sufficient maturity and capability to travel alone (this includes, but is not limited to, checking in, passing through the security checkpoint, boarding, deplaning, and claiming luggage), without adult supervision or assistance from Southwest Employees, on all scheduled service: nonstop, same-plane service with intermediate stops, and connecting service that requires your child to change planes. 

Unless there is some hidden logic about the time of the connection or some other hidden limitation I'm not sure.

When do you get the error? Maybe try booking a direct flight through the initial page and see if lets you go to the next page without confirming the purchase. 

Otherwise you may need to call to complete the booking.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tyesteffke
Explorer C

Solved! Called to complete the booking today, the flight was successfully booked.

Thank you for your help 🙂

bec102896
Aviator A

Back when I was a YT when I clicked purchase I had to fill out a form with my parents info did it prompt you to do that? 

are you on the full website or the app. If the app try the full website 

I believe once you hit 12 you can take all SW flights (at least that’s how it was when I was a minor) 

maybe call again and get a different agent (some are new or just don’t get this daily so it slips their mind)