Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

baggage checked - luggage

lisamc69
Explorer C

I purchased this suitcase for checked luggage will it be considered oversized and will I be charged extra for it?  Samsonite Omni PC Hard side luggage with spinner wheels - large  28 inch.  here are the dimensions: 

• Packing dimensions: 28.5 X 20.5 X 13.5, overall dimensions: 30.5 X 21.5 X 13.5, weight: 10.5 pounds

thank you for your help in advance! 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: baggage checked - luggage

floridaguy
Aviator C

From the Southwest website:

Each checked bag can weigh 50 pounds or less and be 62 inches in size (length + width + height).

If I add up the dimensions that you gave, both are in excess of 62 inches.  One by .5 inches, the other by 3.5 inches.

lisamc69
Explorer C

Do they actually measure the bags? I will be a little over size but not weight

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lisamc69 wrote:

Do they actually measure the bags? I will be a little over size but not weight

I've never seen it happen, but I suppose they could. I think it would be an option if someone brought some obviously gigantic bag. Probably not for anything sold commercially as a domestic carry on, it's close enough.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lisamc69 wrote:

I purchased this suitcase for checked luggage will it be considered oversized and will I be charged extra for it?  Samsonite Omni PC Hard side luggage with spinner wheels - large  28 inch.  here are the dimensions: 

• Packing dimensions: 28.5 X 20.5 X 13.5, overall dimensions: 30.5 X 21.5 X 13.5, weight: 10.5 pounds

thank you for your help in advance! 

Is it this one?

Samsonite Omni PC Spinner Set

The packing dimensions are 62.5" so it sounds like it is over by a half-inch. 

I think you'll be fine - they advertise right on the listing that the linear size is 65 inches so it is definitely over the specs except clicking the info button it says that includes the wheels, which Southwest excludes from the 62" limit. The inside dimensions are 62.5" so that's right at the limit.

Will it be challenged? I doubt anyone would bring out a tape measure to verify it being that close. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have seen gate agents place bags against the standard and request that they check the bag.

Since both of your bags are technically over sized, I would check them and not have the hassle at the gate.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I have seen gate agents place bags against the standard and request that they check the bag.

Since both of your bags are technically over sized, I would check them and not have the hassle at the gate.

For carry-ons yes - the OP is talking about checked luggage