Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Assigned seats - do NOT do it

DaveKC
Explorer C

I have been a loyal A-List Preferred customer with Companion Pass for years and want the current reservation, open-seat methodology, and boarding system to remain in place. It is the best consumer feature that distinguishes SWA from other major airlines. It works, it is efficient, convenient, and ALL flyers love it (even those who still look on their Boarding Pads to see where C-20 is). Dave

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Assigned seats - do NOT do it

Explorer C

I completely agree. In spite of what the CEO email said, open seating DOES define (amongst other things) who Southwest Airlines is. Please keep open seating.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Even though none of the management at Southwest is saying this, the reason for the assigned seating is to address the abuse with preboarding.  Southwest management (or mis-management as it were) is not going to come out with anything adverse about preboarding due to fear of public reaction from disabled passengers.

People are not happy about paying extra for Early Bird Check In, Business Select and earning A-list only to watch 28 people get on the plane ahead of them with Wanna Get Away fares.  So, instead of saying what I just said, they repackage the decision around a survey which is a distraction from the real issue of preboard abuse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy 

So if my memory serves me right you said you were a financial expert right? 

are you Elliott the investor?