Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carryon Question

lrsb_travel14
Explorer C

My husband and I are going on our first flight and am trying to check all the boxes and do this right the first time. We are excited and nervous about our new adventure. I am a little confused on how the carryons work. I see where the dimensions are 24x16x10 based on the website - great. However, a garment duffel bag I purchased that was advertised as a ‘carryon bag’ is 22.8x12.6x12.4. I know two of those measurements are well under the required dimension while the third is 2 inches larger. My question is - will my bag be considered a carry on still with the 12.4 or 12.6 inch side being larger than the 10”? Or would it be a checked bag? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Carryon Question

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@lrsb_travel14 wrote:

My husband and I are going on our first flight and am trying to check all the boxes and do this right the first time. We are excited and nervous about our new adventure. I am a little confused on how the carryons work. I see where the dimensions are 24x16x10 based on the website - great. However, a garment duffel bag I purchased that was advertised as a ‘carryon bag’ is 22.8x12.6x12.4. I know two of those measurements are well under the required dimension while the third is 2 inches larger. My question is - will my bag be considered a carry on still with the 12.4 or 12.6 inch side being larger than the 10”? Or would it be a checked bag? 

Hola and welcome to this board!

Yes, you are correct that the height of you duffle is over by 2.4". The 10" max height is to ensure your bag will fit in the overhead bins on all of SW fleets. However most duffles that are over-quota by only a couple of inches can be "squeezed" down to the specified limits given their flexible nature. If you're able to leave some extra room on the top of the bag and press down on it to get it to the 10" height limit, you should be able to carry it on as it will then fit in the bins when in its "squished" position. 

This forum consists of your fellow travelers, many of whom fly frequently. If you have any general questions about travel, how to use the airport, get through TSA, or SW's check-in and boarding process, feel free to ask here.

Helpful videos

Flying SW for the First Time

(applicable until SW implements its seating policy changes next year) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARWSu-8MJw

Flying for the First Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrPg4fVnOg

Hope this helps!

Re: Carryon Question

lrsb_travel14
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the quick response and helpful information. 🙂