Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Marked medical bag

ginnyannb1
Explorer C

Hello.  We have flown SWA for 28+ years now.  Because of various medical issues, we have brought medical supplies and often equipment with us.  We have never had any trouble at all.  My mom flew home last week from visiting my sister and the boarding attendant commented on my mom's extra bag for carry-on.  My mom declared it was medical equipment and medications and offered to open it for inspection.  The attendant was polite and declined but then mentioned that her medical bag needs to be marked or identifiable as medical on the outside of the bag.  My mom told me of this new info and I need some help.  I have searched the TSA website, the SWA website, and Google to find out 'how'  a medical bag should be marked or identified.  Any clue?  I sure appreciate any info you can direct me to.  She wants to comply but I want to make sure we comply in the right way.   I have never encountered this situation on any other airline either.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Marked medical bag

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@ginnyannb1 wrote:

Hello.  We have flown SWA for 28+ years now.  Because of various medical issues, we have brought medical supplies and often equipment with us.  We have never had any trouble at all.  My mom flew home last week from visiting my sister and the boarding attendant commented on my mom's extra bag for carry-on.  My mom declared it was medical equipment and medications and offered to open it for inspection.  The attendant was polite and declined but then mentioned that her medical bag needs to be marked or identifiable as medical on the outside of the bag.  My mom told me of this new info and I need some help.  I have searched the TSA website, the SWA website, and Google to find out 'how'  a medical bag should be marked or identified.  Any clue?  I sure appreciate any info you can direct me to.  She wants to comply but I want to make sure we comply in the right way.   I have never encountered this situation on any other airline either.  Thanks.

If the Flight attendants at first glance see three bags they would question it - Maybe start out with just a tag on it, here are some available from Amazon.

Other items like CPAP machines come with distinctive cases so they know them by sight. 

DancingDavidE_0-1706640307144.png

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/carryon-baggage

Assistive equipment falls in here:

DancingDavidE_1-1706640750073.png

That might be a gray area using a separate bag for prescriptions, the FA may expect these to go into your carry-on or personal item, but assistive devices are called out as exempt.

Hope this helps! I don't think it says anywhere that the bag has to be identified externally, but if you are trying to avoid future conversations then an external marking will help both you and the FA get the plane boarded more quickly.

Medications are supposed to be in marked containers so they can be identified as medication, but that wouldn't be on the outside of the baggage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Marked medical bag

ginnyannb1
Explorer C

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate the effort you made to show me the medical tags on Amazon as well.  I have read her my own findings and your response too.  She definitely feels better now.  She flies again in April and now she doesn't have to worry until then.  She is going to get a small tag for the bag of the few items she might need in an emergency and then continue to use the same bag the same way she always has for the rest of her stuff.  Have a great day!