Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Clarification on Companion Pass Boarding + A List

dsh1
Explorer C

I have a question regarding boarding positions when the CP holder is not A-list but the companion (me) is A-List.  From what I have previously searched (if I read correctly), I would get a decent A position due to A-List status, and the CP holder would receive a position behind mine (eg. me A18 and CP A19).  Assuming the CP holder did not purchase Business Select and the CP adds me to the trip well before 36 hrs prior to departure, is my understanding correct (we both would receive priority boarding positions)?

Reason I ask is that I have been seeing examples (more than just a few) of passengers where the boarding was NOT sequential.  Some have chalked it up to a system fluke, but when I see more than a few I don't know if I would call that a fluke.

The flights we plan to travel on are long so I just want to make sure I'm clear on whether we should consider EB or some other alternative to ensure that we board relatively early in the process.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Clarification on Companion Pass Boarding + A List

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B

This is correct.  Also if the Holder upgrades to A1-15 the companion pass will not receive the upgrade. I flew yesterday and have been flying every week for months with my companion pass and we received sequential seat assignments on every flight.  I have also seen the postings of those that have not and I am not sure why, maybe they were added late, or there were so many other A-list on the flight it is hard to say.  

Re: Clarification on Companion Pass Boarding + A List

dfwskier
Aviator A

To clarify the policy: if anyone on a reservation is A-List, then everyone on the reservation receives A-List sequential boarding numbers --

the same applies in companion pass boarding situations.