Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Emotional Support Animal

Pjmunich
Explorer C

This has gotten so out of control.

First off, they are allowed to pre board usurping anyone who paid for earlybird.  
I happen to sit next to a couple with a FULL SIZE poodle.  The dog was allowed to rest on the couple’s lap during take off & landing and from time to time rested an extremity on my lap.  I can’t have a bag on my lap but this couple could have the dog on their’s.

I love dogs but this completely out of control.  What about a passenger who is allergic to dogs?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Emotional Support Animal

05bardic
Adventurer C

@Pjmunich wrote:

This has gotten so out of control.

First off, they are allowed to pre board usurping anyone who paid for earlybird.  
I happen to sit next to a couple with a FULL SIZE poodle.  The dog was allowed to rest on the couple’s lap during take off & landing and from time to time rested an extremity on my lap.  I can’t have a bag on my lap but this couple could have the dog on their’s.

I love dogs but this completely out of control.  What about a passenger who is allergic to dogs?

It sounds like you were actually sitting next to a trained service animal as opposed to an emotional support animal. Southwest does not allow emotional support animals. "Pets" must fit in a carrier under the seat and must remain in the carrier throughout the flight. The fact that the dog was large, and sitting on the passenger's lap indicates that it was a trained service dog. 

People who fly with trained service animals must present DOT documentation at the airport (they don't simply take your word for it or accept labeled harnesses or vests from Amazon). If a passenger has a legitimately trained service animal then he/she meets preboarding requirements as well. Additionally, the dog MUST be sitting in the passenger's lap or at his/her feet. They are not allowed to occupy a seat or sit in the aisle, so it does sound like the passenger was following the rules.

Re: Emotional Support Animal

Artanis
Explorer B

A passenger that is allergic to dogs is a pretty good point.  I'm not sure where the airlines stand on this.

Artanis_0-1717458551908.png

Same as being allergic to peanuts?