Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

If I dont want to board my connecting flight

ShortCheckBagga
Explorer C

Hello

1 - If I am on a Nashville to San Francisco flight and want to get off in Las Vegas and  NOT board the connecting flight to SFO - am I allowed to do that?

2 - Would my checked in luggage just continue to SFO?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: If I dont want to board my connecting flight

ShortCheckBagga
Explorer C

I would love to know if anyone has any experiences like this. Thanks

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@ShortCheckBagga wrote:

Hello

1 - If I am on a Nashville to San Francisco flight and want to get off in Las Vegas and  NOT board the connecting flight to SFO - am I allowed to do that?

Thanks

Hello-

Skipping the connecting flight to SFO and getting off at the connection point at LAS is known as Skiplagging. Even if the traveler verbally notifies Southwest staff at the gate at LAS that they will not board their connecting flight and scraps the rest of trip, Southwest does not permit this as the itinerary isn't being completed as booked. The penalty may result in the remainder of your booked itinerary being cancelled and Rapid Rewards TQP points accrued for the itinerary forfeited.

If you want to stop over at LAS, I would rebook the flight to:  BNA - LAS

If you then want to head over to the Bay Area later, book a separate flight from
LAS - SFO (or alternatively OAK) via a separate one-way.

This option is likely more expensive than a one-way with a connection but the trade off would be that your itinerary and accrued Rapid Rewards points will remain in good standing with Southwest for your LAS stopover. Plus, you'll earn two flights toward A-List and Companion Pass instead of one should you continue to SFO later on Southwest.

Last summer, I took a train trip up north to PDX but elected to fly back home to SAN, but there were no SW nonstops from PDX-SAN on my return date. The layover city was SJC but I elected to separate the flights into two so I can "extend" the layover and actually stop over and enjoy some sights near SJC for the day before returning to SAN instead of waiting at the airport. As mentioned, this will likely cost more in airfare but I've found the tradeoff worth it as I've always enjoyed stopping over at intermediate cities, but I would never do it via a Skiplag.

Checked baggage also goes to the final destination for one-way itineraries with a connection. Skiplagging will most likely also generate a very high risk of you getting separated from your luggage with the traveler fully responsible of the added shipping expense whereas two one-ways ensures you can collect your bags at the stopover city so you can go explore.

My advice: Don't Skiplag. Rebook as two one-ways, even if the airfare is higher.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ShortCheckBagga wrote:

"Allowed" no but you won't be restrained from leaving the airport, as mentioned above you will forfeit any RR points and if you have a round trip ticket the return trip will also be forfeit as a no-show for that leg. As a courtesy let the gate know you are doing this so that they aren't waiting for you thinking you may be in the restroom or something.

@ShortCheckBagga wrote:

Yes it will keep going to SFO.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

I had to do this once, and had to buy my companion a ticket for the last leg I couldn't fly.  

I notified the gate agent and they STILL looked for me on the plane.  

And I lost the flight credits.

As noted, don't do this unless you plan to carry your bag on and it's saving you A LOT of money.