Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-list/Preferred Boarding

leadtheway
Explorer C

So heres a story of a recent trip. Last week flying from Houston Hobby to MCO I changed my flight and obviously received a higher boarding position as a result and there were no Business upgrades available. So being A-list preferred as I have done several times before when changing flight I line up to go after A-group.  A few other fellow A-listers did the same thing, only to be told by the gate agent that A-list boards after family now.  Said it was recently changed.  Which I have not heard of it, not have any of the flight attendants or gate agents I spoke to.  So we had to sit and watch 48 people go ahead of us (yes, I counted) .  I sent a complaint to SWA Customer support (which is an oxymoron) and they give me a canned response and no resolution.  Has anyone else experienced this or is it like I think and that gate agent had family in that group. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: A-list/Preferred Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

I had the same thing happen to me on a flight out of DEN last Saturday. That was a first for me.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@leadtheway wrote:

So heres a story of a recent trip. Last week flying from Houston Hobby to MCO I changed my flight and obviously received a higher boarding position as a result and there were no Business upgrades available. So being A-list preferred as I have done several times before when changing flight I line up to go after A-group.  A few other fellow A-listers did the same thing, only to be told by the gate agent that A-list boards after family now.  Said it was recently changed.  Which I have not heard of it, not have any of the flight attendants or gate agents I spoke to.  So we had to sit and watch 48 people go ahead of us (yes, I counted) .  I sent a complaint to SWA Customer support (which is an oxymoron) and they give me a canned response and no resolution.  Has anyone else experienced this or is it like I think and that gate agent had family in that group. 

I too have been advised previously that A-List simply follow the back of the A-group (e.g. "A61") as you described if placed at B1 or worse. I cannot confirm this is still the standard process as I'm almost always somewhere in the A group.

I have a flight tomorrow and I'll observe the boarding process at the other Southwest gates as I wait for my flight to see if there was a standard change in the "in-between A & B's" boarding order. 

I understand the main purpose of Family Boarding is to ensure there are multiple seats available in an area where a least one parent is able to sit next to the young child. You mentioned there were a total of 48 passengers who boarded after A Group but before A-List. I assume a bunch were in the Family Boarding group for your flight.

It may be possible that because Family sales for your flight were so high that they needed to accommodate and board the families before the A-Listers to ensure the children are able to sit together with their parents/guardians.

I'm speculating that the boarding order change that you had was an exception; as mentioned, I'll be travelling tomorrow and Wednesday and I'll look and take note of the neighboring gates of how they board the groups in between A and B and will post back Thursday.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

10/8/23  This happened to me as well.  My flight from FLL to Dallas left late.  My connecting flight had already left, so they booked me on another flight to ABQ 3 hours later.  Just as you, I got a C-24 boarding and went to wait in line for the A-1-60 to board.  The FA then called for extra time people but I walked up any way and she said I had to wait.  OK, there was only 1.  So then she called family, and I walked up again only to find out I had to go back in line and let family on first.  So finally after the family got on she announced A-List and A-List preferred and I got on.  I'm trying to stay ok with this, but deep down I'm not.  Now I am torn on being displeased as it was my wife who the Desk FA gave her an extra time boarding due to the issue SWA was in the wrong making me miss my connection.  So it is true, it is now the policy, and for the time being have to live with it.  I will be sending my thoughts to SWA on this one as I have to in trying to get compensation for the missed flight and 3 hour wait.  Hopefully, if they hear from enough of us our concern they may reconsider.  It appears they are accommodating a group of people who may only fly one time with them ever, over a group already showing commitment to the company.  Just got a 2024 companion pass, so I'm still flying with SWA another year. 

leadtheway
Explorer C

Yeah if this is going to be their new policy, I will just start flying other airline.  You can't have A-list group AND open seating if you're going to let family regardless of the boarding position board.  They obviously aren't concerned with their reward members

dfwskier
Aviator A

@leadtheway wrote:

Yeah if this is going to be their new policy, I will just start flying other airline.  You can't have A-list group AND open seating if you're going to let family regardless of the boarding position board.  They obviously aren't concerned with their reward members

Gimme a break. Do you know how many people threaten to fly the other guy because (WN, or DL, or UA or AA (yeah they get it too)) did this or did that?

Remember, if you are flying the other guy with reserved seats and you do a same day change you are pretty much GUARANTEED to get a middle seat in the back of the bus. Yeah, with the change your seat might not be quite as good, but it sure as heck will be better than what you'd get on the other guy..

OK, give up a bunch of things to fly the other guy if you really want to: bags fly free, A-List, same day change with a reasonable shot at an aisle in the front half of the plane, FF program with no expiry date (not on AA) -- oh did I mention companion pass?

That's as ridiculous as those that say they won;t fly WN again because it isn't handing out drink coupons anymore.

edit add: I was affected by the change last Saturday. Even after all families boarded I snagged 10C -- not bad since my preferred seat is always 9C

leadtheway
Explorer C

you provided nothing to the conversation.  But yeah, I am petty like that.. when you start taking away loyalty perks, I'll go elsewhere.. and to add further, I was correct.  Per SWA Customer service on my complaint:

I regret if we missed the mark in our previous email. We are dedicated to providing outstanding Customer Service, so I’m grateful that you’ve given me another chance to address your concerns.

After further review, our Operations Agent made a mistake within our boarding process, which further inconvenienced you as an A-List Passenger. Please know our regret of this situation is sincere and we have identified the Employees involved, further documenting these concerns to our Senior Leadership, as previously mentioned.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@leadtheway wrote:

Is this impacting your flying habits in a big way?

This was maybe 2-3 of my flights last year where I had to use this perk. I mean I want to still have it, but hardly a deal breaker to go behind the families. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I'm in for another year as well, with CP and A-List+ for 2024, but this continued devaluing of loyal business travelers is disappointing. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Greetings Everybody from SJC:

Flying today and landed in San Jose a short while ago...I was unable to confirm how the boarding order process went when leaving SAN this morning as my flight was the first to board in the concourse after passing through TSA and I was in the A group.

However, I stayed airside at SJC after arrival and watched some of the other gates board. Here is the order of the A & B in-between'rs that I observed:

WN 791 to STL: A-Listers w/o A position boarded after those needing extra time and Family Boarding, before military...same pattern as described in this topic.

WN 1809 to BUR: A-Listers, Family Boarding, and Military were cleared to board together after those needing extra time...different pattern.

WN 1466 to LAX: A-Listers boarded after those needing extra time but before Family Boarding and military...opposite of what is described.

There you have it. Not going to speculate on the actual policy but I would just be ready one way or another to board when directed to do so. Photo Trip Report to come...