Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

All Boarding Policies Followed at MCO

floridaguy
Aviator C

My last experience with Southwest was positive.  I found that the gate agents at MCO are enforcing the former runaway practices of family boarding, oversized luggage and number of pieces.

I saw examples of strict enforcement of all three and I applaud Southwest for getting a handle on this.  I saw a case where a 13 year old was denied family boarding since they didn't fit the definition.  I saw a case where the luggage was oversized and they had to check the bag.  I saw a case where someone tried to sneak a small third item and they were told NO.

MCO has been lax in enforcing these policies for too long.  Based upon the conversation that I heard from other passengers, they're glad to see that there is now law and order.  

I do not expect the steakhouse to invent a vegan menu for me and I do not expect Southwest to sell discounted fares, and then come up with specific seating assignments and other first class accommodations.  

7 REPLIES 7

Re: All Boarding Policies Followed at MCO

bec102896
Aviator A

I’ll be interested to see how it goes on my flight tomorrow. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you see nonsense, call the Southwest Customer Service lines.  I previously had a long conversation and a call back from a Senior Manager.  The days of the whole family, aunt-uncle-cousin-grandma-grandpa-mom-dad-nanny-adult children abusing the family boarding are OVER.

Also gone are the attempts to fill the airplane with three, four and five carry-on items as well as trying to bring things on the plane that are WAY over the size limit.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@bec102896 AND????

bec102896
Aviator A

MCO-STL full flight with only 2 preboarders 1 in wheelchair 1 slow walking I didn’t see family boarding since I got A boarding. 

Did have another strange experience though. So original flight delayed so called to change my group of 4 to the earlier non stop well thought everything was taken care of until we get to the airport and only 2 of us were confirmed even though at the time of the change 4 seats were available and we got 4 confirmed emails well 2 on standby and 2 seats left after a supervisor got involved we were told too bad so I get to go layover style now while others in my party arrive 2 hours earlier. Fun times. Agent at A List desk was not helpful in trying to fix the phone agents mistake 

luckily I don’t mind layovers but would have been nice to fly all of us together.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

We flew out of MCO to MCI on Saturday.  Saw the same things happening.  I like the enforcement.  and the gate agents were very clear in their messages about 20 minutes before it was time to line up - if you have more than two bags, you will lose your boarding position until you can get it down to 2 bags...  

Even heard it once we landed at MCI as another flight was getting ready to board.  

Love Southwest!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@PDFelter @floridaguy @bec102896 Good to hear the updates.  NOW, I'm just hoping that the FA on plane go back to this practice.  I've not seen it happen in about 5 years or so.  Every so often a FA would survey the luggage bins and see those who put jackets, hats, and backpacks and items that would fit under the seat in the overhead bins.  NOW, would you ask have I ever done that.  Yes, but I always wait until the plane is boarded and if there is an open space nearby (4 bins close) then I will put it up there, otherwise I have it crammed under the seat as told.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

What gets back to me is that I am one of the very silent people who occasionally calls and complains about policies.  I am hearing that people are demanding partial refunds and filing disputes on their credit cards for partial rebates of fees paid.  No one wants to follow the rules and then watch others break those rules when the employee stands there and does nothing.

Disney has rules, Alamo Rental has rules and so does Southwest.  It is beyond time for these gate agents to do their jobs.