Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Book & Board Together

Trooper
Explorer C

I received an email from Southwest on March 12, 2020 announcing a new boarding procedure for A-List & A-List Preferred members titled "Book together, Board together."

Here is a snippet from my email - 

We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do.* That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier.

Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.

Thanks for being a Rapid Rewards® Member.

We love that you're here and can't wait to fly with you soon.

My concern is that not many of the SWA gate agents are aware of this new policy.

I was on 4 flights this past weekend (June 19th) and only 1 gate agent out of the 4 new what I was talking about when I checked with them to ensure there would not be an issue when my wife lined up with me.

Please re-train the gate agents on this great new perk!!!! 😍

Thank you SWA!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Book & Board Together

bec102896
Aviator A

So the way I read the email is that boarding positions will be automatically assigned meaning the gate agent wouldn't have anything to do with it. 

Here is the fine print at the bottom of the email: 

*Boarding positions will be automatically reserved for you and the Passengers on your reservation 36 hours prior to the flight. You and Passengers on your reservation will still need to check in within 24 hours of scheduled departure to retrieve your boarding passes. Some restrictions apply. These restrictions include, but are not limited to, your reservation must be booked 36 hours prior to scheduled departure, and on Group Travel itineraries, priority boarding will only apply to A-List and A-List Preferred Members.

Remember the passengers must be on the same confirmation number so Companions on a companion pass would still board at their normal spot since they have a separate confirmation number and lets say you and your friend book separately then the benefit won't apply. 

-Blake 

Trooper
Explorer C

"That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier."

As I said, some of the gate agents know this and allow us to board at the same time. As for me,  I have companion pass so my wife is always booked at the same time but does have a separate record locator since this is how the Companion Pass works.

Thank you!!

bec102896
Aviator A

The boarding positions would be pre assigned so the gate agent wouldn't be involved. 

Example on how I think it works: you are A List preferred you have a reservation for 2 people (on confirmation X) and a companion (on confirmation Y) I see it as you will have position A-16 and  A-17 for the 2 people on the reservation then your companion checks in at T-24 hours and gets say B-12 you and your friend in the A group board together because you have sequential  porting numbers then your companion would board at the B-12 position since they are on a separate confirmation number. 

-Blake 

Trooper
Explorer C

Yes, and there is where the problem lies. In accommodating a Companion Pass rider who would not have the the sequential boarding pass.

If I did not have Companion Pass benefits we would be on the same reservation and have sequential boarding positions 😁

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@Trooper wrote:

Yes, and there is where the problem lies. In accommodating a Companion Pass rider who would not have the the sequential boarding pass.

If I did not have Companion Pass benefits we would be on the same reservation and have sequential boarding positions 😁

Yeah unfortunately this policy change excludes companions of the companion pass. The best thing to do right now would be to share your feedback with southwest though one of these contact methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

In the meantime you could always save your companion a seat or buy EB check in for the companion. 

Edit: I'd check out this Knowledgeable Base Q&A for more information I'm A-List. Can my family board with me? 

SM7
Explorer A

NOT TRUE!!! One of the most BAIT & SWITCH policies by any airline! This is ridiculous. I've been an A-List member for 15 years & A-List preferred for couple years with a companion pass for my kid for the last 4 years. I read this as simple English & then the Southwest gate handlers at Phoenix Airport gate D-7 embarrassed me by first feigning ignorance about the policy & then clarifying that "the companion needs to be on the same reservation #" which they know is impossible!! Wow! Funny thing is I fly all over the US & only Southwest Gate handers at Orlando & Phoenix enforce & are happy to rub it in your face. I've flown & had my kid board along with me in so many other Airports like San Diego, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, LAX, Ontario-LA, Orange County etc & they never make any fuss of a 8-year old boarding with me. And now Southwest rubs it in my face again! Not nice at all. "

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SM7 wrote:

You sure do like posting the same thing over and over and over.

Hope it makes you feel better.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier 😂 👍