Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry on baggage

Ultimatetravel
Explorer C

Carry on baggage is out of control in my opinion.

I have flown round trip recently, on both flights it seems everyone is carrying more and more stuff onboard. On the return leg of the trip we were delayed because people were going back and forth inside the aircraft trying to find overhead space for their bags (suitcases). It was just crazy. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Carry on baggage

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is the gate agent's fault.  I am in favor of

FIRING GATE AGENTS ON THE SPOT

who do not enforce the size, type and count limits.  

This was a problem in Orlando until I wrote to the CEO and provided video of these practices.  They have cracked down significantly so that everyone has a better flight experience.

N82EZ
Adventurer B

Agree, I feel the gate agents are limiting the number of carryons but think they overlook the size parameters sometimes and they have a hard time cramming them in sidewise and not wheels in-out and delays flights.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Ultimatetravel wrote:

Carry on baggage is out of control in my opinion.

I have flown round trip recently, on both flights it seems everyone is carrying more and more stuff onboard. On the return leg of the trip we were delayed because people were going back and forth inside the aircraft trying to find overhead space for their bags (suitcases). It was just crazy. 

I've learned to pack extraordinarily light - my smallest suitcase is 16" and can fit underneath the seat in front of me. I remember going on a flight (not Southwest) where overhead bin space was "full" by the time my group boarded, and everyone "had" to gate check their bag. I knew my suitcase was small enough to put underneath the seat, but many others were complaining so loudly that they had to gate check their bags when I am almost positive their things could have fit underneath the seat. 

The point is: put things underneath your seat! Not everything needs to go overhead. 

--Jessica