Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Check In at BHM

floridaguy
Aviator C

We went to Birmingham AL Friday evening, returned Saturday afternoon.  

When I went to check in at Birmingham, the check in agent was fiddling with my bag and I placed my ID and boarding pass on the top level of the workstation.  The check in agent looked at me and said "hand me your ID please".  Being confused, since it was right there within about 10 inches from her hand, I must have paused long enough for her to repeat, "hand me your ID please".

What's up with the inability to move your hand 10 inches and pick it up?  I've encountered more and more check in agents who behave in this manner.  Is any of this Southwest policy?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Check In at BHM

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@floridaguy wrote:

We went to Birmingham AL Friday evening, returned Saturday afternoon.  

When I went to check in at Birmingham, the check in agent was fiddling with my bag and I placed my ID and boarding pass on the top level of the workstation.  The check in agent looked at me and said "hand me your ID please".  Being confused, since it was right there within about 10 inches from her hand, I must have paused long enough for her to repeat, "hand me your ID please".

What's up with the inability to move your hand 10 inches and pick it up?  I've encountered more and more check in agents who behave in this manner.  Is any of this Southwest policy?

Hello!

Not sure of whether the CSA is at fault. She may have expected the ID to be handed to her. Whenever I'm carded (during TSA screening or elsewhere), I hand the requester the card to his/her hand and don't place it on the desk for them to take.

However, what was the overall tone of the CSA during the second "hand me your ID please" request? Were there any signs of an aggressive or demanding tone other than a polite second request? If so, you may consider emailing a complaint.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

Otherwise, if she politely asked for it a second time, it may have been a valid request. 

Re: Check In at BHM

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Being confused, since it was right there within about 10 inches from her hand, I must have paused long enough for her to repeat, "hand me your ID please".

Did you say politely "yes ma'am, it's right there on the counter"  or did you just keep staring?

She's not supposed to magically find ID on the counter or somewhere else that might be yours to confirm someone's identity, it has to come from you as you are presenting it to be your own ID. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.