AdamNovak
Explorer C

Will SWA accept an expired passport for domestic travel

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Check in ID

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

It's not Southwest that you need to be worried about which only requires ID to check a bag. They usually glance so quickly at it, checking just to see if the name matches the bag, that I doubt they will would notice it was expired. If you are not checking a bag Southwest will never look at YOU identification for a domestic flight.

TSA on the other hand does seem to check expiration dates on identification. If the expired passport is the only ID you have then I would plan on getting some additional questions from TSA when you go through security, much like they do for people that forget or lose their ID. You can read the more about this at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

If you are traveling internationally then forget it, you're not going to be allowed to travel with an expired passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Check in ID

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

It's not Southwest that you need to be worried about which only requires ID to check a bag. They usually glance so quickly at it, checking just to see if the name matches the bag, that I doubt they will would notice it was expired. If you are not checking a bag Southwest will never look at YOU identification for a domestic flight.

TSA on the other hand does seem to check expiration dates on identification. If the expired passport is the only ID you have then I would plan on getting some additional questions from TSA when you go through security, much like they do for people that forget or lose their ID. You can read the more about this at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

If you are traveling internationally then forget it, you're not going to be allowed to travel with an expired passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Just to clarify a little - TSA will not accept an expired passport or driver's license as valid ID.

TSA may allow you to travel without a valid ID after a brief interview. Questions and/or documentation will be discussed, which could include you providing your expired ID as supporting information - so indirectly it may still help to have it, or they may not ask for it at all. You could also bring utilty bills or other documents to help support your identity.

As @TheMiddleSeat said this does not apply if you are intending to travel internationally - you must get it renewed in that case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.