Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Exit row seating requirements

ggalipeau
Explorer C

I was boarding a flight the other day with my family. There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids, 11 and 14). Since our flight has rows of 3, we had to split up. The exit row was empty. So, I sat there and my family sat in front of me (in a non-exit row). The flight attendant told me I have to move. They said it’s a “conflict of interest” if my children are sitting in the row in front or behind me. I checked the southwest page for the requirements to sit in exit row and could not find this rule. Also, the rule as stated by the flight attendant makes no sense. They would be the closest to the exit row if they sit in front or behind me. So, if I let them off first that is just the correct order of letting people off (I don’t see a conflict of interest). Regardless on if the rule makes sense or not, I am just curious if this is a “real” rule that is written down anywhere?

Thanks in advance. And, in case anyone is wondering - I did not argue and just moved seats when asked. I am only asking this because I am curious.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Exit row seating requirements

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there!! So the only southwest requirement is that children 15 and under can not sit in the exit row, so there shouldn't be a problem with your children sitting in the row they were. That is honestly kind of interesting unto why they did that. But I can tell you that you were not breaking any rule and I guess this just goes to prove that every flight attendant is different haha! 

Home Airport - DEN, Frequent Traveler to the west. 

Hope this helps ;)!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ggalipeau wrote:

I was boarding a flight the other day with my family. There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids, 11 and 14). Since our flight has rows of 3, we had to split up. The exit row was empty. So, I sat there and my family sat in front of me (in a non-exit row). The flight attendant told me I have to move. They said it’s a “conflict of interest” if my children are sitting in the row in front or behind me. I checked the southwest page for the requirements to sit in exit row and could not find this rule. Also, the rule as stated by the flight attendant makes no sense. They would be the closest to the exit row if they sit in front or behind me. So, if I let them off first that is just the correct order of letting people off (I don’t see a conflict of interest). Regardless on if the rule makes sense or not, I am just curious if this is a “real” rule that is written down anywhere?

Thanks in advance. And, in case anyone is wondering - I did not argue and just moved seats when asked. I am only asking this because I am curious.

This is a first time hearing this for me. I'm trying to recall if we ever did this ourselves and my memory is fuzzy, we typically would be 2x2 or 3 and 1 either in front, behind, or across the aisle so our typical method here could include three in the row in front or behind the exit row and me in the exit row. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A
Solution

Perhaps your idea of a small child at the flight attendant's idea of a small child are different.

However, the Southwest website specifically states:

"A passenger seated in an exit seat must NOT:

• Have a condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children or pets, that might prevent them from performing the applicable functions."

Some might consider an 11-year-old to be a small child.

Additionally, I am an avid reader of the FlyerTalk forum and I have seen this topic come up regarding the same situation at multiple other airlines - One parent is in the exit row, the other parent is in another row with the child.  The parent in the exit row was moved out of that row.  

In one of the FlyerTalk posts, a passenger said that every time he scans his exit row boarding pass at Alaska Airlines, the gate agents specifically ask if he is traveling with a child under the age of 15.

So it does appear to be a policy at other airlines.