Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How does wheelchair boarding work?

wexxs
Explorer C

I’ve searched and can’t really find an answer to my question so help please. I haven’t flown in several years, and I’m not sure how this works these days.

I’m already anxious to fly bc I don’t “look” disabled and don’t want to cause issues. I have pretty severe congestive heart failure so walking long distances is very difficult as I get extremely short of breath. I have wheelchair assistance lined up as I requested it in advance. I’m flying from New Orleans to Vegas tomorrow.

When I get dropped at the airport will I just request a wheelchair at the curb, or will they know when I show them my boarding pass and ID?

Also I have boarding position A47. Will they assign someone to me to wait in line with me? How exactly does this work? I don’t expect to be put in front of other people who may have paid for that A1-15 thing, but I’m not sure how this works.

Thanks in advance. Please don’t judge me. I don’t fly often and am having major anxiety over this. I know that some cases get boarded before everyone else, but I’m not sure if all airports do that. I just don’t want a confrontation or wind up in someone’s picture because I can’t help my condition.

1 REPLY 1

Re: How does wheelchair boarding work?

dfwskier
Aviator A

From the information you provided, I'd guess you are entitled to what is called pre-boarding.

That means you board before any A boarding positions board. It is supposed to be reserved for people with physical limitations, and it seems you do. You should request it as soon as you arrive at the gate your plane is at.

Since you requested a wheel chair in advance, as soon as you check bags the people that do that should know that you need assistane and should arrange it for you. If not, just remind them.

I hope you have a pleasant and uneventful flight and hat you enjoy your trip to Las Vegas.