Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I have a question about my third piece of luggage

FACIII2023
Explorer C

I have a question about my third piece of luggage. I'm planning on two be checked in/through and one carried on. I know that the third and each additional piece of baggage is $75 each/ My question is how/when do I pay for it? Do I pay for it online or when I check in at the passenger drop off,etc?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: I have a question about my third piece of luggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@FACIII2023 wrote:

I have a question about my third piece of luggage. I'm planning on two be checked in/through and one carried on. I know that the third and each additional piece of baggage is $75 each/ My question is how/when do I pay for it? Do I pay for it online or when I check in at the passenger drop off,etc?

Other airlines let you prepay for luggage but for Southwest you'll pay when you check it in. They'll be able to take a payment at the ticket counter.

However I wanted to make sure I was reading your post correctly - if you are carrying one item on, and checking two items, then you won't owe any additional money for most destinations.

The fee you saw is for a third checked bag.

There might be some Central American locations that have a limit of one checked item - what is your airport city pair that you are flying?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

FACIII2023
Explorer C

I'm flying out of RSW Southwest Florida International Airport at 12:10pm on August 6th.  I have a 2 hour and 10 minute layover at BWI Baltimore/Washington before I board my connecting flight to land in SDF Louisville at 6:25. My final destination is Bardstown Kentucky where I will be staying with my girlfriend and her three daughters for three weeks. I was already there for two weeks,the last week of May/first week of June. It's always good to get a break from the Florida heat and humidity and now mugginess and stickiness.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@FACIII2023 wrote:

I'm flying out of RSW Southwest Florida International Airport at 12:10pm on August 6th.  I have a 2 hour and 10 minute layover at BWI Baltimore/Washington before I board my connecting flight to land in SDF Louisville at 6:25. My final destination is Bardstown Kentucky where I will be staying with my girlfriend and her three daughters for three weeks. I was already there for two weeks,the last week of May/first week of June. It's always good to get a break from the Florida heat and humidity and now mugginess and stickiness.

That's a great area for touring around, very pretty countryside and the locals do have their special beverages.

FACIII2023
Explorer C

Thanks David,I really enjoyed my Memorial Day trip the last week of May and the first week of June. Downtown is probably my favorite area that I have seen so far. We went to a street concert on June 11th but spent more time walking around downtown than we did listening and watching. I will do a follow-up post on Sunday evening or sometime Monday to let the Southwest community know how my flights went,etc.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@FACIII2023 wrote:

Thanks David,I really enjoyed my Memorial Day trip the last week of May and the first week of June. Downtown is probably my favorite area that I have seen so far. We went to a street concert on June 11th but spent more time walking around downtown than we did listening and watching. I will do a follow-up post on Sunday evening or sometime Monday to let the Southwest community know how my flights went,etc

Great, love to see a nice trip report!

There was a place where we had Belgian-style mussels in the downtown that was really nice if you like that.