Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

International checked bag - layovers

stawberry112
Explorer C

Hi All,

This is my first time flying internationally (please be nice, lol). I have a flight BWI -> HOU (layover) -> LIR (final destination, outside of US). Similarly, my flight back would follow LIR -> HOU -> BWI.

I am checking a bag at BWI. I am wondering if I would need to pick up my checked bag/recheck it at HOU, before going to LIR.  This round trip is under the same confirmation #, so I'm assuming they would just send my checked bag over to my final destination both ways? OR does this apply only to my flight going to LIR (BWI -> HOU -> LIR), but on the way back (LIR -> HOU -> BWI), I would have to pick up my luggage at HOU and recheck it after Customs?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: International checked bag - layovers

05bardic
Adventurer C
Solution

For your departing flight, you will not need to retrieve your bag until you reach your final destination. But on your return flight you will need to pick up your bags in HOU and run them thru customs, and then recheck them.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

But on the return flight you will need to pick up your bags in HOU and run them thru customs and then recheck them. It should be pretty easy.

05bardic
Adventurer C

@dfwskier wrote:

But on the return flight you will need to pick up your bags in HOU and run them thru customs and then recheck them. It should be pretty easy.

Wow this I didn't know, sorry to have given incorrect info. Thinking back, all the international flights I've taken with a return layover to the US have had OCONUS layovers so I guess it's different. 

@dfwskier I can't seem to find the function to edit or delete a post when I've made an error or even to correct typos. Would you please direct me on where to find that?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sure, to edit your post, just click on the wheel looking thing on the upper right side of your post and pick edit.  

05bardic
Adventurer C

@dfwskier wrote:

Sure, to edit your post, just click on the wheel looking thing on the upper right side of your post and pick edit.  

@dfwskier That's where I looked, but I'm not seeing "edit".

05bardic_0-1718802755744.png

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think the edit rules were changed sometime back, where now one has to do an edit within a specific time period.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Admin can help: @CarlyeThornton can you help @05bardic to edit his post? The response is not correct for the return trip through HOU, but is correct for heading to LIR.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CarlyeThornton
Employee
Employee

Done!