Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Suggested Announcement at All SW Gates

floridaguy
Aviator C

Here is what I will recommend:

As a reminder to all passengers, Southwest has a policy of open seating and all unoccupied seats during boarding are available to you.  Should another passenger limit your choice of seats by claiming that they are saved or otherwise dissuade you from making a seat selection, the individual limiting your choice will be asked to exit the airplane and their ticket will be cancelled without a refund or credit.  We want everyone to enjoy flying Southwest and respect the open seating policy.

This simple announcement, and its enforcement thereof, will make Southwest loyal passengers happy and show that their rights are being supported.

Yes, I recommend that they be removed from the plane.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New Suggested Announcement at All SW Gates

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Would encourage you to share your feedback via the Contact Us below link. Since this is peer-to-peer, unfortunately not much action/review will be taken.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

Just to clarify: Southwest policy DOES NOT prohibit seat saving...

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, they do.  I called and specifically asked.  While they don't have a written policy on it, they will advise a consumer that the practice is not supported.

dfwskier
Aviator A

When I see something in writing its a policy. When its spoken its an opinion

floridaguy
Aviator C

This has been discussed endless times before.  Southwest doesn't have a policy on every single element of the flight experience.  However, with open seating, there is no assigned or reserved seating.

I have personally occupied a seat that was "saved" and I told the individual that it was a great subject for a book, but not supported on Southwest.  The individual didn't complain.

I suggest everyone else do the same.