Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Possible changes to Southwest Business model in the news...

Sneelock
Explorer C

Wow- if this goes thru, I will definitely not be a-list in future years, as I will not be fling SW much, if at all. I rarely check a bag, and if they used the mentioned cost tiers, picking a decent seat will cost more than selecting a premier seat at other airlines.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/southwest-transform-business-model/

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Possible changes to Southwest Business model in the news...

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Sneelock wrote:

Wow- if this goes thru, I will definitely not be a-list in future years, as I will not be fling SW much, if at all. I rarely check a bag, and if they used the mentioned cost tiers, picking a decent seat will cost more than selecting a premier seat at other airlines.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/southwest-transform-business-model/

I think all of the mass media speculation on this subject is based on this single quote:

“We are evaluating options to enhance our Customer Experience as we study product preferences and expectations, including onboard seating and our cabin.”

That tells me that this is all under review and nothing is official as of yet. I found nothing mentioned specifically of seating assignments or separate class cabins, yet the press ran with it. I doubt what the media is saying will become reality and I think the CEO's quote may have been taken out of context but I could be wrong...

Some educated speculation--A few simple "onboard seating" enhancements I could think of: Maybe disclose how full a particular flight currently is and is projected to be upon purchase (maybe have a link to a similar diagram on the booking page such as this):

20230929_151042_Crop.jpg

This would help the buyer in deciding whether to purchase perks like EBCI or Upgraded Boarding.

Maybe disclose whether Upgraded Boarding A1-A15 seating is available while one is completing an online transaction to do a Same-day Confirmed Flight Change. That way, they'll know they'll have the option to upgrade to the A-group if they desire before they complete the transaction. Also, maybe allow Upgraded Boarding purchases to transfer with Same-day Confirmed Flight Change/Standby (if A1-A15 is all sold out on the new flight, board at A61 instead of forfeiting). These are all my ideas but they would fall under the "onboard seating" category.

We already know for sure that cabin "expectation/preferences" upgrades are already  underway including the installation of larger overhead bin space capacity and USB outlets:

20240319_170533.jpg

20240319_064216.jpg

One cabin "enhancement" I could think of would be the FA's reserving/guaranteeing space in the front overhead bin for those seated in the front row/bulkhead as both luggage and personal items are stowed there. The bin would be labeled "Reserved for Front Row Passengers".

I'm sure the current Boeing delivery issues and how it relates to SW financials will be a part of their discussions. And I would assume that any key changes would still fall under Southwest's purpose and vision:

To connect People to what's important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. To be the world's most loved, most efficient, and most profitable airline.

https://www.southwest.com/about-southwest/

Dfwguy
Explorer C

I’m all in for the suggested changes ( and more). It’s time to add reserved seat assignments, higher priced seats with more pitch (2x2) seating. I ride WN for less than 1.5 hours. Anything more than that i ride a mainline carrier  and I am willing to pay for it. 

hopex5
Explorer C

I've been reading in the papers about the proposed changes to Southwest's boarding and seating policies and I just see having to spend more money and my beloved airline becoming like all of the others.  I've flown Southwest exclusively for many years because I have always loved the free spirit of an airline that doesn't follow every other airline's rules or try to price-jab its customers.   During the last several years I have really missed hearing the gate agents in airports say silly things over the PA system or sing funny songs, because that just made it more fun to fly Southwest.  I've always loved the crazy things that the flight attendants said over the speakers - they still do, but it doesn't seem as often.  I still tell everyone I know that they should fly Southwest because it's fun and Southwest cares about its passengers.  I've also always felt that Southwest took the safety of its planes more seriously and made an effort to ensure that their passengers and crew were on planes they could trust to be safe.  But - I don't want to have to pay for assigned seats just because some billionaire investor, or whoever is driving these proposed changes, decided that that's how it should be to make more money.  It's just not okay with me.  I know not everyone would agree, nor should they have to, but that's how I feel!

Possible changes to Southwest's boarding and seating

hopex5
Explorer C

I've been reading in the papers about the proposed changes to Southwest's boarding and seating policies and I just see having to spend more money and my beloved airline becoming like all of the others.  I've flown Southwest exclusively for many years because I have always loved the free spirit of an airline that doesn't follow every other airline's rules or try to price-jab its customers.   During the last several years I have really missed hearing the gate agents in airports say silly things over the PA system or sing funny songs, because that just made it more fun to fly Southwest.  I've always loved the crazy things that the flight attendants said over the speakers - they still do, but it doesn't seem as often.  I still tell everyone I know that they should fly Southwest because it's fun and Southwest cares about its passengers.  I've also always felt that Southwest took the safety of its planes more seriously and made an effort to ensure that their passengers and crew were on planes they could trust to be safe.  But - I don't want to have to pay for assigned seats just because some billionaire investor, or whoever is driving these proposed changes, decided that that's how it should be to make more money.  It's just not okay with me.  I know not everyone would agree, nor should they have to, but that's how I feel!

Re: Possible changes to Southwest's boarding and seating

dfwskier
Aviator A

@hopex5 wrote:

I agree with you. Southwest has run numerous surveys which indicate that about 90% of passengers prefer open seating and no "surprise" fees.

Let's hope that the 10% that are squeecky wheels do not rule.

floridaguy
Aviator C

What you have is a lot of Karens and their male counterparts insisting on assigned seats, sitting together, etc. etc. etc. and ruining the airline by demanding champaign from a beer bottle.

Back in the day, anyone who whined about sitting together would have been removed from the airline.

I can go back to Delta very easily where I flew for 20 years previously.