Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding scam

hemiforjin1
Explorer C

Most recently I encountered a similar problem as flying Business Select for the first time. In reading the carefully worded info on benefits for paying extra, it does state be the first to board in the "A" group, not the entire collective. So I bit and payed extra to I could get off plane quickly to catch a food break and get to next gate somewhat relaxed. It worked on my way out however coming back aisle 10 was the first opportunity for aisle seat. Getting off the plane after a 2 hours delay was a mess, disabled folks seemingly dazed standing up getting into the aisle waiting for attendants to assist them. Not a happy ending to my trip. So I have learned a lesson. Yes there are some which need to be assisted, there are some whom abuse the system. There is always room for more training of the flight crew especially when it comes to customer concerns. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@hemiforjin1 wrote:

Getting off the plane after a 2 hours delay was a mess, disabled folks seemingly dazed standing up getting into the aisle waiting for attendants to assist them. Not a happy ending to my trip. So I have learned a lesson. Yes there are some which need to be assisted, there are some whom abuse the system. There is always room for more training of the flight crew especially when it comes to customer concerns. 

So this is an example of the system working, these folks did need assistance. (But please stay seated until you know an attendant is available.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Candisehb
Explorer C

This comment is the most ablelist thing I have ever read.  You don't know what kind of unseen condition those overweight people have. You are judging on what you see and what you think is needed. I am overweight (190) have diabetes, wear a continuous glucose monitor and need to sit in an aisle row to get to the bathroom quickly due to medication, need room for an extra medical bag, need to be able to access food and medication  quickly if need be. Did you know your nerves get affected and you have to urinate all the time. Traveling and flying can wrec havoc on the endocrine system.  Just because you don't see them struggling doesn't mean they don't have unseen things happening. They may have a need to preboard, and honestly its none of your business. 

Also, if you already know you can qualify for preboard, checking in on time is not a priority. I don't stress over check in anymore.

KBayron
Explorer C

I could not agree more with your share regarding the "upgrade" that Southwest sells for early boarding. We recently had the same experience flying back from PR to Orlando. Decided to upgrade to the "Be one of the first to board with A1-A15 boarding" It is undoubtedly a TOTAL SCAM. Our boarding pass had us listed as A1 and A2. I would have thought that based on the fact that we paid for the upgrade, those seats/section would have been reserved for those that paid for that upgrade..

We noticed on our flight that there were at least 20 people in wheelchairs..along with their companions that boarded ahead of all the rest..My husband and I completely agree that anyone with a disability should have priority to board first. However, when we were finally able to board, we ended up towards the back of the plane and not even able to sit together...and here is the kicker...of about 20 folks that were in wheelchairs getting on the plane, only 2 waited for wheelchairs to get off when we landed...all the others seemed to have no issues walking off!! How sad is that!?

I did contact Southwest as soon as we arrived home and requested a full refund. They did respond with total BS basically saying that they have to follow the laws...and that they were not going to refund our money. I am now having to work with our credit card company to get refunded.

I am completely baffled at the fact that SW has gotten away with this scam...and I dont understand how a class action lawsuit has not hit them yet?

How dare SW think that they can sell "upgraded seats" that customers may or may not get. When someone boards any other airline with priority due to a disability, they cannot just sit in a First class seat that they did not pay for. Whoever came up with this idea at Southwest is a complete idiot. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@KBayron you had A1 and A2 and did not get to sit together?

That doesn't make any sense, even with about 50 preboarders and companions there is still close to 100 seats left on a 737-700. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

KBayron
Explorer C

You are absolutely right! It doesnt make sense that by the time we boarded, we ended up siting apart.  Yes, it was a packed flight...and many others boarded on ahead of us..go figure ..

dfwskier
Aviator A

@KBayron wrote:

You are absolutely right! It doesnt make sense that by the time we boarded, we ended up siting apart.  Yes, it was a packed flight...and many others boarded on ahead of us..go figure ..

By chance were you on Southwest 983? That flight (and maybe others) is a flight from LA to Denver with a stop in Tuscon. So there coud have been LA passengers that stayed on the plane - thus adding to the crowds.

floridaguy
Aviator C

The issue is not preboarding, the issue is the OPEN SEATING policy.