Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Real A-List (preferred) boarding position

Mark7666
Explorer C

Looking for an answer as to the how boarding positions are actually assigned to A-List and A-List Preferred passenger's.  

Specifically, I would like to know how we AL and ALP passengers are sequenced when SW  checks us in 36 hours in advance.  I get the A1-15 thing. What I want to know is; If there are say 10 AL or ALP passengers, who gets assigned A16, A17, etc?  How are this positions determined?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Real A-List (preferred) boarding position

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'd be surprised if anyone here knows the answer to that question

I'm regular A-List and normally end up with a position in the low to mid A20s

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Mark7666 wrote:

Looking for an answer as to the how boarding positions are actually assigned to A-List and A-List Preferred passenger's.  

Specifically, I would like to know how we AL and ALP passengers are sequenced when SW  checks us in 36 hours in advance.  I get the A1-15 thing. What I want to know is; If there are say 10 AL or ALP passengers, who gets assigned A16, A17, etc?  How are this positions determined?

Hello!

This was asked a while back on Twitter/X. Here's SW's response:

Priority boarding positions are assigned in this order: Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime fares, EarlyBird. EarlyBird boarding positions can vary, and you are not guaranteed to get an "A" group boarding assignment.

https://southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

-Larissa

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1594125108129722370?s=20

The priority boarding subgroups are in order by time of booking; the earlier one books, the higher the position. In your example:

A1-15: Business Select followed by those who purchased Upgraded Boarding,

A16 and beyond:

If the flight has 10 ALP members and they booked at least 36 hours beforehand, they'll get slots A16-25, in the order of booking. Having 10 A-List's after that who booked at least 36 hours before would get slots A26-35. Anytime fares would be next (same 36 hour/booking order rule), followed by non A-List/ALP WGA+/WGA fares with EBCI.

If any ALP or A-List doesn't get an A position, they can board in between the A and B groups after the group that needs extra time to board but before family boarding and military.

Mark7666
Explorer C

Thanks So Cal…

I’m an ALP but keep finding myself in A21/22/23 kinda of positions.  If what you said is accurate, and I assume it is, this is because I tend to book only a week or two out.   Those with positions ahead of me are likely also ALP members, but they would have purchased their tickets before me.  

I’m going to start asking those in front and behind me while in line to see if this theory holds water.  I’ll report back what I discover. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Mark7666 wrote:

Thanks So Cal…

I’m an ALP but keep finding myself in A21/22/23 kinda of positions.  If what you said is accurate, and I assume it is, this is because I tend to book only a week or two out.   Those with positions ahead of me are likely also ALP members, but they would have purchased their tickets before me.  

I’m going to start asking those in front and behind me while in line to see if this theory holds water.  I’ll report back what I discover. 

Getting A21/22/23 as ALP usually means you have about 5-7 ALP's on the flight who booked ahead of you. This appears normal as you mentioned that you book 1-2 weeks beforehand. As an A-List, I'm usually placed anywhere around A25-A45 for flights booked well in advance but there have been some cases where the flight is full of A-Listers. One such flight was from SAN to SJC San Jose where the entire A16-60 pool were all ALP's and A-List; I had booked that flight well in advance during a $29 sale but never made it to the A-Group as an A-List at the 36-hour mark; thankfully, as I mentioned, A-List has the "A-61" benefit; thus I can still get a good window seat anyway.

Also keep in mind if you do an "audit" of the boarding line on the day of the flight, if an ALP with an assigned position does a Same Day Flight Change or Confirmed Standby and vacates their original boarding position, the very next person to check in for the flight will end up nabbing this spot; thus, there's a slight chance you may see a few non-ALP's ahead of you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Mark7666 wrote:

Hello!

This was asked a while back on Twitter/X. Here's SW's response:

Priority boarding positions are assigned in this order: Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime fares, EarlyBird. 

https://southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

-Larissa

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1594125108129722370?s=20

I'm not sure about the A-List and ALP as it seemed to me without asking around that there might be comingling of the two categories with some weighting of advance purchase and status that favors ALP but not absolutely favors them.

I hadn't ever seen anything written that said it would be ALP, then A-list. Usually they are mentioned together in parallel.

Not sure - anyway my 2023 as ALP I didn't notice much difference than when I was A-list.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

2O1OO
Explorer C

Very interested by this thread and whether the assignment logic has changed this year: I'm an ALP and I fly between 90-100 flights a year, mostly between SAN & SJC. I usually book my tickets months in advance for the next few months.

For the last few years, I've consistently been assigned A16-A18. An then suddenly since the beginning of the year, it's been pretty much all A21-A26 (9 flights so far)

I bought my January flights at the same time as my November or December flights, so I'm positive something has changed in the way those seats are allocated since Jan 1.

I initially thought that they had extended Business Select until 20, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

I wonder whether the assignment within the ALP pool used to be based on travel frequency (the more frequent travelers would get priority) and is now based on purchase price (I bought my current set of flights during a $29 promotion).

Has anyone noticed a change?

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

I’m a little surprised by the explanation here. I’m another ALP who does about a hundred flights a year who gets A16 95% of the time, A17 about 4% of the time, with the rare-ish outlier in the low A20s, but I book my flights usually just a few days out. I have also kind of noticed that when I don’t have A16, it’s usually on a shorter “commuter”-type route, so I always just presumed it was based on the amount of travel people do. FWIW this has been the same for me in 2024 thus far.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PettyIntrigues wrote:

I’m a little surprised by the explanation here. I’m another ALP who does about a hundred flights a year who gets A16 95% of the time, A17 about 4% of the time, with the rare-ish outlier in the low A20s, but I book my flights usually just a few days out. I have also kind of noticed that when I don’t have A16, it’s usually on a shorter “commuter”-type route, so I always just presumed it was based on the amount of travel people do. FWIW this has been the same for me in 2024 thus far.

Very interesting!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@2O1OO wrote:

Very interested by this thread and whether the assignment logic has changed this year: I'm an ALP and I fly between 90-100 flights a year, mostly between SAN & SJC. I usually book my tickets months in advance for the next few months.

For the last few years, I've consistently been assigned A16-A18. An then suddenly since the beginning of the year, it's been pretty much all A21-A26 (9 flights so far)

I bought my January flights at the same time as my November or December flights, so I'm positive something has changed in the way those seats are allocated since Jan 1.

I initially thought that they had extended Business Select until 20, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

I wonder whether the assignment within the ALP pool used to be based on travel frequency (the more frequent travelers would get priority) and is now based on purchase price (I bought my current set of flights during a $29 promotion).

Has anyone noticed a change?

Hello from SoCal-

Nearly all of my SW flights are short-hauls, many to/from Northern California that also originate out of SAN. I don't have ALP but currently have A-List. My understanding based on my prior reply and an official SW Twitter/X response was ALP members get first take of the Priority Boarding Positions 36 hours before departure after the A1-A15 group (I assume placed in order when the flight was booked). A-List follows, then Anytime fares, then EBCI.

Based on my experience, I tend to notice many frequent ALP's and A-Listers traveling on SW short-haul flights in between SoCal and the Silicon Valley/Bay Area regularly which can impact my position if many ALP's book. I found that number to fluctuate. For example, I can score an easy A16-20 on some of these flights. Other times, I may not even make it to "A". For example, I had an October '23 SAN-SJC flight that was booked during a $29 sale four months prior in July '23. Despite the early booking, I was placed in the early B-Group (but had the "A61" benefit as A-List). On the day of travel out of SAN, it was evident that were at least 45 ALP's on this flight and many A-Lists. I'm guessing a boss from one of those big tech companies wanted their staff to come to work. It's likely that your first few January flights too have been loaded with ALP's with 6-10 booking ahead of yours.

Lately, I've been placed anywhere in between the A20's to A40's as A-List. Even if I have to settle for "A61", I still get a great window seat with overhead bin space near the seat. I don't think the amount paid has anything to do with the position as my most recent short-haul flight to OAK was $39, flown just a few weeks ago, and booked last October. I got A23 as A-List. The folks ahead of me appeared to be ALP's.

Long answer short: I think it fluctuates. Hope this helps.