Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest violated their own boarding process

Waco523
Explorer C

I would like some help understanding the boarding process, and what to do when Southwest violates their own policy.

Case Scenario:

Saturday 9 March 2024, Flight 2025 LGB-BNA, 737-700 143 seats.

Departing Long Beach, non-stop to Nashville on an almost full flight, a large group (a school orchestra of about 50-60) was boarded immediately after Business Select - before the remainder of A and any of B group.  I'm not sure if they all had a boarding group assigned, but several accompanying parents had C-Group on their passes.  For additional context, it appeared that all of A & B group were full.  The Gate Agent announced that they would be boarding them early, but they would board the back of the plane (a standard practice at LGB) and seating them in the back.  Although, this still violates the boarding policy, I chose to be considerate and hopeful that seating would still work itself out...it did not.  
The flight crew and gate agents were not coordinated, and no one managed this large boarding group.  I was able to board with family boarding (w/ my young son), but the rest of my family (3) were the last people to board - all with B35-37 boarding passes.  

When I walked down the aisle, that large group had not boarded solely via the back door, but also the front; and they were not filling every seat back-to-front, rather they were fairly scattered throughout the plane ('mostly' toward the back).  

What were/are my courses of action?  

If I have to pay an additional fee to improve my boarding status, should I request a refund in equal amount for Southwest effectively downgrading my boarding status?

Anyone else experience such a thing?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Southwest violated their own boarding process

floridaguy
Aviator C

This needs to be reported to the CEO.  Southwest has open seating and your boarding position is only changed with certain parameters, those being preboarding, family boarding, etc.

Traveling as a large group is not a priority group.  I would request a refund of a portion of your flight.

Re: Southwest violated their own boarding process

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Waco523 wrote:

I would like some help understanding the boarding process, and what to do when Southwest violates their own policy.

Case Scenario:

Saturday 9 March 2024, Flight 2025 LGB-BNA, 737-700 143 seats.

Departing Long Beach, non-stop to Nashville on an almost full flight, a large group (a school orchestra of about 50-60) was boarded immediately after Business Select - before the remainder of A and any of B group.  I'm not sure if they all had a boarding group assigned, but several accompanying parents had C-Group on their passes.  For additional context, it appeared that all of A & B group were full.  The Gate Agent announced that they would be boarding them early, but they would board the back of the plane (a standard practice at LGB) and seating them in the back.  Although, this still violates the boarding policy, I chose to be considerate and hopeful that seating would still work itself out...it did not.  
The flight crew and gate agents were not coordinated, and no one managed this large boarding group.  I was able to board with family boarding (w/ my young son), but the rest of my family (3) were the last people to board - all with B35-37 boarding passes.  

When I walked down the aisle, that large group had not boarded solely via the back door, but also the front; and they were not filling every seat back-to-front, rather they were fairly scattered throughout the plane ('mostly' toward the back).  

What were/are my courses of action?  

If I have to pay an additional fee to improve my boarding status, should I request a refund in equal amount for Southwest effectively downgrading my boarding status?

Anyone else experience such a thing?

I have experienced this, it does usually go smoothly as the chaperones want the kids all together, and in light of the A-list and BS fare, etc. Southwest does want to prioritize those.

However I have also observed at BUR where there was front and rear simultaneous boarding that it is a melee, and people could get a better spot if they went to the back while the pre-boarders were still coming up the front entry with the ramp.

Unfortunately the combination of those two scenarios caused an issue this time.

I'd say this isn't the end of the world but feel free to reach out using the Contact Southwest Customer Service methods and you may be able to get a voucher. 

As far as violating the rules, there is going to be some fine print about "follow the instructions of the staff" which will allow them to deviate when it is judged to be necessary. you may get a voucher after the fact. 

This group boarding of young people on sports teams or school groups does happen occasionally, and probably especially right now during spring break time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.