Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unenforced age requirement for Family Boarding

jpm
Explorer C

Flight 5981 LAX to PHX

16 Mar 2024

We were extremely disappointed with the boarding process.  After the A group boarded there were 40 children plus their parents and grandparents.  The gate agent told me that there were 40 children in the group.  Many of the families did not have children 6 or under but they were allowed to board with this group.  This meant that at least 100 people boarded between Group A and Group B.  We were B1 and B2 and did not get to sit with our grandchildren.  It is my understanding, as well as, SWA definition of family boarding that only families with children 6 or under can board between Group A and B.

Many of the people in back of us that had paid for Earlybird were angry and just as unhappy as were with the boarding process.

We have noticed on some of our recent flights that the youngest children in a family looks much older than 6.  I have never seen a gate agent question the age of children boarding between Group A and Group B.

As these examples demonstrate the boarding process is broken. We would like to know what SWA is going to do to improve the boarding process and make it more fair to those who have paid for Earlybird boarding. 

We have some suggestions:

1. Strictly enforce the 6 and under rule
  2. Require that 6 and under passengers have an indication on their ticket that they are eligible for family boarding.  You require an indication on preboarding passenger’s ticket.
  3. Limit the family to 2 adults just as you do where only one person can accompany a pre-boarding passenger.
  4. Move family boarding before Group A.  Most other airlines preboard families
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unenforced age requirement for Family Boarding

05bardic
Explorer B

That is certainly frustrating. This is a customer forum so you won't find resolution here, but you can use the link below to lodge a complaint with Southwest. 

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

"Require that 6 and under passengers have an indication on their ticket that they are eligible for family boarding.  You require an indication on preboarding passenger’s ticket."

That is one of the best suggestions I have heard in a long time.  The age of the passenger should be in the reservation.   It should be easy enough for the boarding pass to print with something indicting the child is under 6 on it.

I would definitely suggest you recommend this to Southwest.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Firstly, as mentioned by @05bardic this is a customer to customer forum so do as that user suggested and Contact Southwest Customer Service with your feedback.

This sounds extreme and I'd have something in mind if you call that would make you happy, i.e. $100 LUV Voucher or at least equal to the EBCI value.

That said 1) and 3) are the current rules, so as you mentioned the situation would be improved with stricter implementation. (I feel like they are, your case sounds extreme...was this an Orlando flight by any chance?)

#4 is going to be a "no" - family boarding can't go before the Business Select group or compete with the pre-boarders who need to sit in a specific location. Families are given the accommodation to sit together but it isn't meant to be "favorable" locations necessarily. Going at the "A61" position has historically been more than enough of an accommodation.

Point #2 seems plausible? That would take the guesswork out of it for the gate agent. I like this suggestion.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

My suggestion is to contact Southwest and name the flight and departure location.  Then, ask for a partial refund of the flight.

The family boarding was so out of control at MCO that many voiced their concerns - now the rules are followed.

Get a refund.