Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What seat do you suggest

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

I will be traveling with 3 kids, 1 autistic 1 adhd and thanks to great people here I know we should be able to preboard. 

So I'm trying to figure out where we should sit. 

My autistic 15 yr old likes to head bang to her music and doesn't sit still much. Her and sister (11 with anxiety , needs window ) wish to sit with me  while 14 yr old bro will sit with grams. He is adhd but mostly calm. 

Firstly my plan is have 11 yr old window, 15 middle, me aisle. Then son at window with grams in window.

Due to the dancing in her seat, would bit be best to sit in back of plane for her so she doesn't bother anyone ? Is the back really bad near bathrooms being smelly? I've only been in middle and never went to bathroom. 

Should I put grams and boy behind us so they are only ones bothered by dancing? Or should I have them across row so I can assist better and give info during flight? Kids and mom have Never flown.  We will have connecting flights.  Around 1.5 hr to 3 hr layovers depending what I choose, so will being last to get off with kids cause issue?

Anyone that's flown with disabilities please give me tips. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What seat do you suggest

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I like the back row sure that seat may not recline but I think you might like the east access to the bathroom should your group need it and if they are active they won’t bother anyone behind them just potentially the row in front of they are kickers. Also in the back you have easy access to the flight attendants should you need anything. Another reason I like the back row no one to kick your seat and you have extra time to prepare everyone during boarding and deplaning since most want to rush in the front rows 

the only time I don’t recommend the last row is when you have a 45min connection it can take 10min if your in the last row to get off and the next flight boards 30min before flight so it gives you 5min to rush from one gate to the next before any flight delay 

bathroom smell in the last row: I’ve only had 1 bad smelly experience in the last row usually though it doesn’t bother me. 

Hope your flights go smoothly!

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Thanks. I don't think they'd really do much kicking so that should be ok and I don't think recline is an issue since all flights eill be 3 hr or less.  From what I've seen available flights. The 1st return flight has 1hr 45 min layover so maybe I'll put us in middle for that one. But the 3 hr layover should be easy. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LaurieAnne wrote:

The 1st return flight has 1hr 45 min layover so maybe I'll put us in middle for that one. But the 3 hr layover should be easy. 

What airport? 1:45 is ample for any and you should feel comfortable with the back row. I agree with @bec102896 if your connection was 45 minutes I’d avoid the back but otherwise it will be great to keep your group’s corner together. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Spokane GEG to (hopefully) SMF , on to SNA in July (yep disneyland) and then back same route. After bad experience in SJC I prefer to stay away from there. OAK is 2nd choice as we did Okay there. 

But any delay at all means rushing to next gate because southwest tends to have long delays on those fights it seems. We got stranded 4 hours in sjc because it was a noon flight. Our return would be around 3 to 5pm so I assume extremely long delays because I'm not doing a crack of dawn flight with 3 kids after disneyland lol