Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Where have all the express lanes for SWA A-List gone when going to TSA?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

For lack of topics, I used the check-In and Boarding thread.  And to state, this isn't a complaint, just an observation.  My question is, pre-covid it seemed that that at most airports when I head to TSA, I would see a sign for SWA A-List, A-List Preferred, and full fare customers.  I rarely see that anymore, and I'm talking about major SWA hubs.  Was there something I missed that has caused this change.  Not asking for a friend, asking for me.  🙂 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Where have all the express lanes for SWA A-List gone when going to TSA?

floridaguy
Aviator C

I haven't seen them either.  I guess you either have TSA Precheck or you don't.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

For lack of topics, I used the check-In and Boarding thread.  And to state, this isn't a complaint, just an observation.  My question is, pre-covid it seemed that that at most airports when I head to TSA, I would see a sign for SWA A-List, A-List Preferred, and full fare customers.  I rarely see that anymore, and I'm talking about major SWA hubs.  Was there something I missed that has caused this change.  Not asking for a friend, asking for me.  🙂 

Interesting question...

Short answer: The Express Lanes are likely there but probably labeled differently at the TSA Checkpoint, hence a bit difficult to determine. 

I've passed through a bunch of California airports plus LAS and PDX and the Express Lanes are usually labeled something like "Priority", "First Class", "Premium" or even "FlyBy Priority" (not to be confused with the FlyBy Priority lane at the ticket counter). PDX uses "Express":

PDX-TSACheckpoint-06220542-EDIT.jpg

SAN (it's a little blurry in this photo, but the Express Lane is on the far right side, labeled "Southwest FlyBy Priority; A-List/A-List Preferred; Business Select"):

20230516_064239-EDIT.png

To your point, with the exception of SAN Terminal 1, I have not really seen direct references to Southwest A-List or Business Select at the TSA Checkpoint signage and have never seen any sign references for Southwest Anytime fares even tough Anytime qualifies for Express Lanes access.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had mainly seen them as "Priority" or "Fly-By" and not advertised by fare type in the past, although I haven't been looking lately since I'm going through PreCheck anyway.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I haven't seen those lanes or signs for those lanes in a few years either, I travel mostly in the East and Midwest. But to be honest I never used them because these lane always led to non-TSA Pre-check security which meant taking shoes off, electronics out of my bag etc... So I always stood in the TSA Pre-check line, less hassle.

FWIW- I do really appreciate the "priority check in" lanes when checking bags, I think I have mentioned this in another thread, there are so few perks for A-list/A-list prefrerred travelers, SWA really needs to step their game for their frequent/loyal travelers, (free sketchy internet does not cut it, I mean Delta gives free internet to every sky miles member, I had it the other week and I have basically zero status with Delta.) 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@parpitt1 wrote:

I haven't seen those lanes or signs for those lanes in a few years either, I travel mostly in the East and Midwest. But to be honest I never used them because these lane always led to non-TSA Pre-check security which meant taking shoes off, electronics out of my bag etc... So I always stood in the TSA Pre-check line, less hassle.

FWIW- I do really appreciate the "priority check in" lanes when checking bags, I think I have mentioned this in another thread, there are so few perks for A-list/A-list prefrerred travelers, SWA really needs to step their game for their frequent/loyal travelers, (free sketchy internet does not cut it, I mean Delta gives free internet to every sky miles member, I had it the other week and I have basically zero status with Delta.) 

I've never used them too for the same reason. I think the TSA should consider having these Express Lanes feed either into PreCheck or General Screening just like how CLEAR works...Also, I would standardize the name of lane to something like "Priority Express Lane" so it is universal across all airports.

Regarding improved A-List perks to improve the value of the program and to better compete with other carriers, a few weeks ago, I posted the following ideas:  

A-List Benefit Ideas:

Priority Boarding (Behind A1-A15, A-List Preferred; Ahead of Anytime Fares/EBCI) - Existing

FlyBy Priority + Express Lane Access - Existing

Dedicated Phone Line - Existing

25% Bonus Point Reward - Existing

Same Day Flight Change / Same Day Standby List w/ Priority Placement - Existing

Board after A Group if positioned at B or C - Existing

Suggested Added Perks:

Free Inflight Wi-Fi
Transferrable Flight Credit for WGA Fares

100% Bonus Point Reward for Business Select or Anytime Fares
10-Trip Access to any Priority Pass Lounge per 12 month period (same as Standard Plus Priority Pass) - Guests $35; additional visits $35
100% TSA PreCheck or Global Entry enrollment Reimbursement Flight Credit or Voucher
25% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement Flight Credit or Voucher

A-List Preferred Benefit Ideas:

Priority Boarding (Behind A1-A15; Ahead of Anytime Fares/EBCI) - Existing

FlyBy Priority + Express Lane Access - Existing

Dedicated A-List Preferred Phone Line - Existing

100% Bonus Point Reward - Existing

Same Day Flight Change / Same Day Standby List w/ Priority Placement - Existing

Free Inflight Wi-Fi - Existing

Board after A Group if positioned at B or C - Existing

Suggested Added Perks:

Premium Beverage

Transferrable Flight Credit for WGA Fares
Unlimited Access to any Priority Pass Lounge (Prestige Priority Pass) - Guests $35
Free Companion Upgrades to Business Select

120% Bonus Point Reward for Business Select or Anytime Fares
Board after A30 if positioned at A31 or behind

100% TSA PreCheck or Global Entry enrollment Reimbursement Flight Credit or Voucher
100% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement Flight Credit

Annual Fee Waiver or Statement Credit for SW Plus or Priority Credit Card

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Love these ideas for A-list!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.