Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can you enforce exiting etiquette before it gets out of hand?

Socalflyer
Explorer C

First time flying Southwest. 

How can we utilize the efficiency of the onboarding process towards the exit process?

Some seem to lack the etiquette or don't know it. Thus, you have folks in the back aggressively trying to get out first.  If they had to catch a transfer, I get it. Couldn't they inform the flight attendants for support for this situations, then have people exit in the order they boarded? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can you enforce exiting etiquette before it gets out of hand?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Socalflyer wrote:

How can we utilize the efficiency of the onboarding process towards the exit process?

Some seem to lack the etiquette or don't know it. Thus, you have folks in the back aggressively trying to get out first.  If they had to catch a transfer, I get it. Couldn't they inform the flight attendants for support for this situations, then have people exit in the order they boarded? 

Hello-

Welcome to the LUV airline! My experience has long been that the exit process is generally orderly and those in the front of the plane exit first. I had one exception and that was the FA's accommodating a passenger who had a tight connection. They allowed that person to exit first.

Most people do stand and wait once the plane stops at the gate and the seatbelt light turns off. Aisle passengers for the most part get their carry on's from the overhead bins at this point. I've always seen it orderly with those in the back of the plane waiting. Being a window seat person, I usually stay seated until it is my turn. Should a case of a mad rush to exit arise, I would sit back down and let the person(s) who needs to get off right away pass through.

If your flight had a chaotic exit process (e.g. People in the back trying to force their way to the front), I would contact Southwest Customer Service directly and describe what happened as this forum is customer-to-customer. They may be able to provide you with assurance that this is not normal.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

if connection tight sit row 3

floridaguy
Aviator C

Generally, everyone gets off the plane in about 15 minutes.  I don't see the need for a new process here.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Socalflyer wrote:

if the people in the back asked the FA to make an announcement they might offer to help get those people out early, I've seen this happen before but not recently so I'm not sure of current policy.

I think most people that have flown Southwest before will wait, it may mainly be people that don't fly often, probably not regulars on any airline or they would be familiar with the process.

People get very anxious as well, as others mentioned you might be saving ten to fifteen minutes at the most, probably less - most connections they'll be fine unless the original flight was delayed.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

On a delayed flight last year into BWI there were six passengers who had tight connections to other flights. The FA made an announcement asking everyone to be patient and stay seated so they could exit first. Everyone complied and the six were off the plane within a couple of minutes of reaching the gate. No big deal.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@StAugustine wrote:

On a delayed flight last year into BWI there were six passengers who had tight connections to other flights. The FA made an announcement asking everyone to be patient and stay seated so they could exit first. Everyone complied and the six were off the plane within a couple of minutes of reaching the gate. No big deal.

Glad to hear that it can work! 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.