Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Personal Hotspot

afaygenholtz
Explorer C

Does Southwest allow using a personal hotspot while in flight? Last time I flew, I purchased wifi and the connection was so terrible I couldn't send an email. I'd like to rely on my own wifi source.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Personal Hotspot

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@afaygenholtz wrote:

Does Southwest allow using a personal hotspot while in flight? Last time I flew, I purchased wifi and the connection was so terrible I couldn't send an email. I'd like to rely on my own wifi source.

Hello!

Unfortunately, a Mobile Hotspot cannot be used while in flight because it relies on cellular data. As you know, no cellular signals allowed during a flight. There are no other networks that can be tethered either while in flight. Any inflight Internet services need to come from the SW Wi-Fi. I'm with you regarding the quality of the existing SW Wi-Fi signal.

Because the inflight Wi-Fi signal can get sporadic at times, if I have to do any work on a travel day, I currently do not count on nor depend on the inflight Wi-Fi for my business or work-related tasks for now which includes email. That gets done in the airport or on the tarmac until the FA's signal it's time to go to Airplane Mode. I believe SW is aware of this problem and working on updating the service.

It wouldn't hurt to send an email to southwest and let them know about your experience with the Wi-Fi signal. 

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Click on "Comment/Question", "Inflight Experience", "Inflight Entertainment and Services"

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@afaygenholtz wrote:

Not just that it isn't allowed, even if you chose not to turn it off it wouldn't work as you will be too high above the cell towers except during ascent and descent. When you can't have your laptop out anyway.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

You cannot get a cell signal flying seven miles above the earth.

🤔