Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen luggage from overhead bin

Hurley4956
Explorer C

Quick flight from OC to Oakland.

My one piece of carryon luggage was stowed in overhead bin in front of my seat.

upon arrival in Oakland, we all stood to gather our bags.

someone grabbed my bag.

my phone number and last name on SWA tag attached to handle.

reported to gate agent and she made announcement to entire airport that passengers should check that they had correct bag from that particular flight. 

Checked in with onsite Customer Service and Baggage Claim—because it was not a checked bag the response from SWA was sympathetic but there was no policy in place. I reached out to SWA lost and found and filed a report, filed a police report with Oakland PD—now just in limbo. It is extremely frustrating especially after hearing of targeted luggage theft at San Jose airport—it has been 4 days and still no bag—the SWA reps I have been dealing with have been great, but they have no resolution to someone grabbing the bag —not sure what to do now—-

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Stolen luggage from overhead bin

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Hurley4956 wrote:

Quick flight from OC to Oakland.

My one piece of carryon luggage was stowed in overhead bin in front of my seat.

upon arrival in Oakland, we all stood to gather our bags.

someone grabbed my bag.

my phone number and last name on SWA tag attached to handle.

reported to gate agent and she made announcement to entire airport that passengers should check that they had correct bag from that particular flight. 

Checked in with onsite Customer Service and Baggage Claim—because it was not a checked bag the response from SWA was sympathetic but there was no policy in place. I reached out to SWA lost and found and filed a report, filed a police report with Oakland PD—now just in limbo. It is extremely frustrating especially after hearing of targeted luggage theft at San Jose airport—it has been 4 days and still no bag—the SWA reps I have been dealing with have been great, but they have no resolution to someone grabbing the bag —not sure what to do now—-

Hello! The situation you describe is pretty unusual and I understand the frustration. It looks like you did what you can for now. My combined trips up north to SJC and OAK have been problem free in terms of baggage and I have no idea what the motive would be behind your overhead bin baggage disappearing.

As I said, I find it very unusual and foolish in my opinion for any ticketed passenger (or anybody else on the plane) to willfully steel somebody else's belongings from the overhead bin (or accidently take the wrong bag and not return it to airport lost and found). Both the airline and I assume the TSA have record of the passenger's travel and personal details and there are security cameras all over the airport to track this down (OAK even has an Alameda County Sheriff's desk at the automatic doors leading to the exit-to-landside at the Southwest terminal).

If you don't get any calls through the weekend, I would do one more follow up after the weekend with the parties you've already initiated contact with including the Oakland PD, Alameda Sheriff, OAK Airport Lost & Found and Southwest Customer Service to see if any of them found anything before starting the process to replace the lost items. Although the SJC baggage claim theft incident appears to be a separate matter given that the general public can access that area, I think your case may also get some attention given the widespread news coverage of SJC; thus I would follow up again after a few days if any of the parties don't contact you back.

Stay safe!

dfwskier
Aviator A

If someone grabbed your bag by mistake (lots of bags do look alike), you have to hope the person will realize the error and return the bag to Southwest.

If the person really stole your bag, you are probably out of luck.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

It appears you posted this twice???  Go to the other thread to see my reply.  Losing items out of the upper storage bin, this is the first I've ever heard of this. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

It appears you posted this twice???  Go to the other thread to see my reply.  Losing items out of the upper storage bin, this is the first I've ever heard of this. 

Actually I've heard of it three or four times from a certain unlucky in flight individual, although I believe always returned. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.