Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Trying to save 5 seats

H20skier
Explorer C

Is it me or is trying to save 5 seats for young adult kids over to top?  I felt bad when I told the mom saving a seat or 2 is fine, not an entire row plus 2 seats next to her is a little much?  

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Trying to save 5 seats

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yeah, saving 5 seats is  a bit much. It's not you. Saving 1 seat - ok. Saving 2 seats borderline. Saving 3+ -- no way.

gusgus78102
Explorer B

As an FA, I never allowed pax to save seats for people. Every passenger paid for the ability to choose a seat without worrying it's been set aside. They were always welcome to ask pax to switch with them so they can sit together if they chose to. But I also didn't make anyone swap seats just to accommodate people with grown  children. Lol.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Hooray!  I've been a proponent of throwing passengers off the flight for saving seats.  I also proposed a boarding announcement to discourage the practice.  If someone saves a seat, they get removed and get a refund of their fare.  

We cannot allow a few people to jeopardize the experience of others.  Let them fly another airline.

H20skier
Explorer C

Southwest should seriously consider your proposal.  Saving multiple seat(s) is just wrong.  I was close to going back to United where I was a 1k flyer for well over 10 years.  Southwest did the right thing by allowing their companion pass holders to board together.  This mitigates their top tier flyers from having to save "a seat" for their companions.  Between the early boarding of non handicapped passengers and those that hoard seats, Southwest needs to remember they have business travelers who have options on what carrier they use.  Watching people board who have no handicaps at all is not a good message to send those standing in positions A1 thru 15.  It's literally right in our face.    Thanks again for your reply 

H20skier
Explorer C

Thanks for reassuring me that I wasn't being the bad guy.  I very much appreciate your reply.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@H20skier wrote:

Is it me or is trying to save 5 seats for young adult kids over to top?  I felt bad when I told the mom saving a seat or 2 is fine, not an entire row plus 2 seats next to her is a little much?  

I'm okay with it but not at the front. Go to the back and do this.

Young adults to me being < 18 years old. If they are in college they can manage being in a separate non-adjacent row.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SRT102
Explorer C

My experience with passengers saving seats has, until last Wednesday, been benign, usually someone saving a middle seat for a traveling parter. Who cares, just take a different middle seat.

However, on 8/7/24, I saw something completely new: WN2587, DAL-LAS, I was B2. I see two empty exit row seats, a woman sitting in the window seat. I start to sit on the aisle, and she says "No, these are reserved."
"The whole row?" I ask. 

"Yes."
Shrugging, I take the D seat across the aisle instead (a couple is sitting in E and F).

The woman proceeds to put personal items on the B and C seats, and every time someone asks, she says that they are reserved. Finally towards the end of the Bs someone tells her, "That's not how this works," and starts to move her carry-on luggage from the C seat. She screeches, "Don't touch my property!"

At that point, the FA, who was standing one row back, tells the new passenger, Sorry, there's nothing I can do. In a voice loud enough for the Karen in the A seat to hear, she says something like "It's an unwritten rule, like giving the armrests to the center seat, not kicking the back of the seat in front of you, and so forth. 99% of the passengers know how to behave in public but unfortunately that 1% ruins it for everyone." 
The B-5-something grumbles and moves to the back.

Karen doesn't react at all.

This was a completely full flight, and finally Karen's two friends, who were among the last five people on the plane, arrived and took their cushy exit row seats with what I would guess would be C51 and C52.
I've read a lot of stories about people abusing this rule (or lack of a rule) as well as the pre-board. I guess that's part of why Southwest is abandoning "open" seating.

YeahNoMaybe
Frequent Flyer C

Just a few days ago on an Orlando-Houston flight....  I was in the A group....

I boarded to find one of the pre-boarders has managed to find enough hats, food bags, jackets, etc. to save EIGHT additional seats for his party boarding later... NINE seats total (including his)... an entire row and a half saved...  NINE SEATS...

I wanted to look at him and say, "You, SIR, are the exact reason Southwest is going to begin assigning seats."

Unbelievable.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@YeahNoMaybe wrote:

Just a few days ago on an Orlando-Houston flight....  I was in the A group....

I boarded to find one of the pre-boarders has managed to find enough hats, food bags, jackets, etc. to save EIGHT additional seats for his party boarding later... NINE seats total (including his)... an entire row and a half saved...  NINE SEATS...

I wanted to look at him and say, "You, SIR, are the exact reason Southwest is going to begin assigning seats."

Unbelievable.

It is an inconsistency if the preboarders only get one helper, but then can save this many seats it would be easier just to let everyone board with the preboarder. 

So no they aren't supposed to do it that way.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.