Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

fishing rod tubes

h2obio
Explorer C

will my 4' rod tube fit in the overhead?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: fishing rod tubes

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@h2obio wrote:

will my 4' rod tube fit in the overhead?

Greetings!

This was asked before a few years back. See:
https://community.southwest.com/t5/Travel-Policies/Fishing-poles/m-p/51914/highlight/true#M825

It is addressed in the Contract of Carriage:

Oversized articles of reasonable carryon size that protrude from only one side of the sizing box or chart and, because of their fragile nature, would be at greater than normal risk of damage if carried in the cargo hold (e.g., blueprints, map tubes, fishing poles, artwork, media cameras/video equipment) are considered personal type items and may be carried in the passenger cabin if remaining onboard space permits and the item fits in an overhead bin without depriving other Passengers of sufficient overhead bin space.

With that being said, in reference to the linked thread, you'll want to make sure you'll have early access to the overhead bin to ensure there is space available. If you don't have A-List, the thread suggests ensuring that you check in right at the 24-hour mark, or purchase Early Bird Check-In or Upgraded Boarding if available. The Agent working your gate should also be advised to let them know about your need.

Hope this helps!

h2obio
Explorer C

thank you! I'm flying business class so I hope it won't be an issue. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@h2obio wrote:

thank you! I'm flying business class so I hope it won't be an issue. 

Business Select gets A1-15 boarding; thus, you should be all set and be one of the first to board.

Safe travels!

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is time for Southwest to just say NO to this kind of carry on.  The irregular shapes and special handling only delay flights and create a nuisance.  

Ship the items via freight carrier or buy one locally.

dfwskier
Aviator A

If so, Southwest would be about the only major carrier that does say "no" to this type of carry on.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest is only one of many who has unassigned seating, too.  I am in favor of banning these items from the airplanes.