Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$75 dollar annual travel credit-priority card eligible purchase

Kellywi8542
Explorer C

Can you use your 75 dollar annual travel credit from the Priority Credit Card to purchase Southwest gift cards? 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: $75 dollar annual travel credit-priority card eligible purchase

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Kellywi8542 wrote:

Can you use your 75 dollar annual travel credit from the Priority Credit Card to purchase Southwest gift cards? 

The wording is "travel credit" so I don't think that will work, although if you were going to buy a gift card anyway you might as well put it on the Southwest card. If that's from Southwest.com you might get the 2 points per dollar spent, if not counting towards the $75.

Here's the whole thing if you can check it also:

https://swa.mychasecreditcards.com/a1/southwest/50kdualinflight?CELL=6T8Q&orig=MDW&dest=TPA&flt=3590...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jeremybaynai
Explorer C

Any idea what kinds of things Do qualify for the travel credit? (other than purchasing tickets) I earn enough points and travel little enough that I never have to purchase a ticket. So if I can't buy gift cards, points, I flight drinks, or upgrades, what can I buy? 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The fine print doesn’t specify:

$75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit
A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for Southwest Airlines® purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases), up to an anniversary year maximum accumulation of $75.

Sounds like it is mainly for ticket purchases. Consider buying a flight for someone else? Consider buying a one way ticket just to get the perk of the card and use your points for everything else?

If you can’t use the credit, you honestly might consider downgrading to another Chase RR product. It might be a better value proposition for you, @jeremybaynai?

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jeremybaynai wrote:

Any idea what kinds of things Do qualify for the travel credit? (other than purchasing tickets) I earn enough points and travel little enough that I never have to purchase a ticket. So if I can't buy gift cards, points, I flight drinks, or upgrades, what can I buy? 

Actually, any Southwest Airlines purchase counts, except for Upgraded Boarding and in-flight purchases (since those have their own specific individual benefits and discounts when using the card). This includes things like EarlyBird Check-In, baggage and other ancillary fees, and gift cards when purchased directly from Southwest. It does not apply to RR points however, since those are sold by a 3rd party (points.com).

jeremybaynai
Explorer C

Thanks. Early bird check-in could be nice. Any idea if booking a car rental through southwest would count? And if gift cards count, could I buy gift cards and then use those for in-flight drinks and wifi? 

Oh, and as you mentioned ancillary fees, since this is really a Chase credit, would this credit be applied to taxes and fees that are added on top of a reward trip? Even using all points, you still rack up $25 bucks in taxes and fees. Covering those would be all i need. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jeremybaynai wrote:

Thanks. Early bird check-in could be nice. Any idea if booking a car rental through southwest would count? And if gift cards count, could I buy gift cards and then use those for in-flight drinks and wifi? 

Oh, and as you mentioned ancillary fees, since this is really a Chase credit, would this credit be applied to taxes and fees that are added on top of a reward trip? Even using all points, you still rack up $25 bucks in taxes and fees. Covering those would be all i need. 

I suspect that car rentals and gift cards do not count. Why? The credit is intended for Southwest AIRLINES Flight related  purchase, and these are not flight related purchases.

You should be able to get a credit for taxes and fees as Southwest doesn't tell Chase anything other than the amount was due to a flight purchase.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Car rental, no. Southwest gift cards, yes if purchased from Southwest. 

You cannot use a Southwest gift card to make in-flight purchases. Southwest gift cards are only valid for Southwest air travel.

If you use the Priority credit card to make in-flight purchases you'll receive a 20% discount in the form of statement credits from Chase.

Taxes and fees, yes.

tak10
Explorer C

I did see this where this person bought a gift card and recevied the credit. 

https://travelwithgrant.boardingarea.com/2019/01/10/gift-cards-trigger-75-annual-travel-credit-for-c...

I wonder if Southwest merch sold here: https://www.swathestore.com
can count towards the credit. 

segan83
Explorer C

Has anyone confirmed the fees associated with any flight will count towards the credit? That is the fees you pay even with rewards flights.