Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are the Soutwest Hotel Extra points good toward companion award

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I have recently been booking hotels through the Southwest website to get the extra points toward companion fare qualifications;  I have just noticed that at the bottom of the booking page there is the offer to pay a little more and received extra miles and a special phone number to use, I suppose if there are issues with the hotel.  For example if book a hotel for 4000 points, can pay another $40 and get 4000 more points;  Does anyone know if these points also count toward the companion fare?  I know the first 4000 do but what about the extra?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Are the Soutwest Hotel Extra points good toward companion award

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bballflyer wrote:

I have recently been booking hotels through the Southwest website to get the extra points toward companion fare qualifications;  I have just noticed that at the bottom of the booking page there is the offer to pay a little more and received extra miles and a special phone number to use, I suppose if there are issues with the hotel.  For example if book a hotel for 4000 points, can pay another $40 and get 4000 more points;  Does anyone know if these points also count toward the companion fare?  I know the first 4000 do but what about the extra?

I think so:

End of Year - Tier Qualifying Points (southwest.com)

Hopefully someone can confirm that has done it, but if the points are hotel points then yes.

If they have another category from the box way at the bottom of the linked page then no. 

Check the fine print again to see what the keywords are, unless someone can confirm.

It would be consistent that they are - Rocketmiles for instance does a similar thing and those count.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

epcot
Adventurer C
Solution

Yes they do count, Booking and Rocketmiles are owned by the same company and the offers are being sourced from the same inventory. Over on another AAirline, these points counted towards their status too - I don't think RM/Booking passes along a differentiator for these vs the base miles.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@bballflyer wrote:

For example if book a hotel for 4000 points, can pay another $40 and get 4000 more points;  Does anyone know if these points also count toward the companion fare?  I know the first 4000 do but what about the extra?

It's been a while since SW Hotels offered me an extra points bonus offer for a fee separate from the bundled Points Plus award (last time I saw this for my bookings was last November), thus I cannot independently verify this.

However, question: Were you actually offered the extra 4,000 RR Points on top of the Points Plus award for only $40 extra? If so, I would certainly consider taking that deal either way provided there was no major markup to the base room rate. That appears to be a generous sum of points for the buck!

bballflyer
Adventurer C

$40 for 4000 probably wasn't the actual amount, I just couldn't remember.  The amount of bonus points seems to be equal to the amount you are getting and then the price varies based on how many;  I just booked one where I will receive 2000 points and the offer was an additional 2000 points for $40.  I had not really paid much attention but do recall seeing one for 4000 points but don't remember how much it was for.  I will look closer now. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

When you use  RR points to buy a ticket, they are worth about 1.3 cents each. So, if you pay more than that, it is not a good deal

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

When you use  RR points to buy a ticket, they are worth about 1.3 cents each. So, if you pay more than that, it is not a good deal

And if you have companion pass, then they are worth 2.6 cents (assuming you'd buy the same ticket for your companion...it's probably not fair to say double, but there's some boost).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

If they count toward companion fare status they can be worth more to someone. I don’t believe just buying miles counts toward earning companion fare 

bballflyer
Adventurer C

Just wanted to come back and confirm that I did purchase the extra points for $40 and received an extra 2000 pts on top of the 2000 pts for booking the hotel and all 4000 pts counted toward companion fare qualifications but not toward A status.  The hotel price was the same that I could have booked through the Bonvoy app.  If in need of companion fare qualification points, or even just a few more miles for a flight, this seems like a reasonable option.  For example I took a flight that cost me $67 (inclusive of tax) and only received 320 companion fare qualifying points and 640 regular miles (I am a A Preferred) and 2000 points would have cost $60 to purchase from SW direct.  I don't really need the extra points but want to make sure I earn my 2025 companion fare so may do this from time to time if needed.