Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking flights with Rapid Rewards Credit Card

SomeoneInNV
Explorer C

We recently obtained Rapid Rewards Credit Card - my husband is working on building A List Preferred status as well as getting companion pass. My questions are:

1) Is there any advantage if my husband purchases my flight (when I'm traveling alone) using his account vs. my own SW login account using the rapid rewards credit card? 

2) If my husband books my flight (traveling alone) does he obtain any qualifiying tier points? or do those only accumulate when he's traveling?

3) If my husband has travel funds that were originally obtained using different credit card, does this impact his ability to obtain qualifying tier points? Would the bonus points be at lower rate?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Booking flights with Rapid Rewards Credit Card

SomeoneInNV
Explorer C

I'm unable to edit my posting so this is what I meant to include in question #2:

"Qualifying flight* "will earn tier qualifying points when I scroll down for * details, it reads:

"*Points can be earned from (a) qualifying flights booked and flown through Southwest or (b) through qualifying purchases with our Rapid Rewards partners. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points."

But what it doesn't saying does this apply only to the specific Rapid Rewards account holder completing the flight or anyone booking the flight as long as it's booked under the specific RR account holder? If my husband books his and my flight together under his account, would he get credit for both - double the points? 

Re: Booking flights with Rapid Rewards Credit Card

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SomeoneInNV wrote:

We recently obtained Rapid Rewards Credit Card - my husband is working on building A List Preferred status as well as getting companion pass. My questions are:

1) Is there any advantage if my husband purchases my flight (when I'm traveling alone) using his account vs. my own SW login account using the rapid rewards credit card? 

`

No. In both cases he'd earn CC RR points for the purchase and you'd earn CC points for the flight. In both cases the flights would show up in your RR account.

2) If my husband books my flight (traveling alone) does he obtain any qualifiying tier points? or do those only accumulate when he's traveling?

He'd earn A List qualifying  points for the purchase (15oo for $5000 spent) and points when he travels

3) If my husband has travel funds that were originally obtained using different credit card, does this impact his ability to obtain qualifying tier points? Would the bonus points be at lower rate?

He'd earn A-List qualifying (and CP, too) points for the fl;ight regardless of how it was paid for. Obviously he'd earn fewer points on the CC as he'd spend less on the CC.

Thanks!