Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple Chase Reward cards

Catpfish
Explorer C

Have a question regarding multiple Chase Southwest Rewards card accounts.  My Chase Southwest card was hacked and I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid the hassle of updating all of the automatic payments that run through it.  One possible solution that I've come up with is having two Chase reward cards (different accounts) and using one solely as the automatic payment card and nothing else.  In the event the "public" card gets hacked, the other account should still be good.

Can you link multiple Chase account numbers within one Rapid Rewards account?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Multiple Chase Reward cards

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Catpfish wrote:

Have a question regarding multiple Chase Southwest Rewards card accounts.  My Chase Southwest card was hacked and I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid the hassle of updating all of the automatic payments that run through it.  One possible solution that I've come up with is having two Chase reward cards (different accounts) and using one solely as the automatic payment card and nothing else.  In the event the "public" card gets hacked, the other account should still be good.

Can you link multiple Chase account numbers within one Rapid Rewards account?

Hello! It took me a little while to find something official on Chase's public website that states whether this can be done either way. I finally found a statement.

On the electronic application for the personal credit cards, there is a certification bullet point in between the application form fields and the "Submit" button. The 5th bullet point reads:

This product is available to you if you do not have a current Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card and have not received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.  This does not apply to Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

I therefore assume the answer is "no" but can understand the need of using a different card number for automatic recurring purchases or vice versa. I don't think Chase offers controlled payment numbers or virtual alias numbers that can be linked with your Southwest credit card account. I could be wrong and I would check with a teller or rep the next time you visit a Chase branch.

However, for an added layer of protection, I would try to make use of the card's contactless payment feature to pay at live retailers to avert skimming theft. For online purchases, I think there's some other third-party options like "Click to Pay" where you can securely link your card without disclosing your credit card number to the retailer, though I've never used this service.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can link a personal account and a business account. I'm not sure about 2 personal accounts.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

You can link a personal account and a business account. I'm not sure about 2 personal accounts.

I think there is an option to have two personal cards but they have to be the different types, I've forgotten the names but you an have a Plus and and a Select or whatever the names are - one of these will have an annual fee though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Catpfish
Explorer C

Thanks for all of the replies, and I don't mind the second annual fee.  However, I don't think I phrased my question very well before.  I know that I would need two separate accounts with Chase and that they won't link them. 

My actual question is will Southwest allow you to link the two separate Chase accounts under my Rapid Rewards number.  It really doesn't make it worthwhile if I have to have separate Rapid Rewards accounts to match up with the two separate Chase accounts.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You may have the causality reversed.

You don't link to your Chase card from your RR account.

You do link to your RR account from your Chase card.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Catpfish wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies, and I don't mind the second annual fee.  However, I don't think I phrased my question very well before.  I know that I would need two separate accounts with Chase and that they won't link them. 

My actual question is will Southwest allow you to link the two separate Chase accounts under my Rapid Rewards number.  It really doesn't make it worthwhile if I have to have separate Rapid Rewards accounts to match up with the two separate Chase accounts.

Yes, I'm sure that works to have separate Chase accounts link to one RR. (Or three if you get a business card as well.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.