Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgraded Boarding credit card perk for family members

kbs915
Explorer C

If I book a flight for my son coming home from college with my Priority card that has 4 upgraded boardings, can I use one of the upgraded passes for him? (He will obviously be flying without me.) Or can they only be used for people on an itinerary I'm also flying on?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Upgraded Boarding credit card perk for family members

floridaguy
Aviator C

Check with the credit card carrier issuing the rewards.  There is typically pages of fine print and the question is whether the reward goes to the cardholder only or for anyone that the cardholder purchases a ticket.

kbs915
Explorer C

It's the Southwest Priority card - I thought someone here would have the answer since there have been so many changes with upgraded boardings since I signed up for the card a couple years ago...

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

My wife buys the upgraded boarding when ever she flies solo, and the Chase CC is connected to my RR Rewards Acoount. The credit shows up on the next month's statement after the flight  

kbs915
Explorer C

I think it might be different with husband and wife whose names are both on CC? I'm hoping someone knows if you buy an upgraded boarding for someone not connected to your account (since my son's name isn't on that credit card...)

jw498
Explorer C

Yes, last week I upgraded boarding for both my wife and myself using my Southwest Chase card.  

kbs915
Explorer C

Yes, I've upgraded my family when they're flying with me 🙂 My question is when I buy a ticket for my son who is flying solo and whether the upgraded boarding will be refunded on my SW Priority. I'm trying to find out it just sees a charge for an upgraded boarding to use one of the 4 free passes or if the system is specifically looking WHO the upgraded boarding is for 🙂

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@kbs915 wrote:

Yes, I've upgraded my family when they're flying with me 🙂 My question is when I buy a ticket for my son who is flying solo and whether the upgraded boarding will be refunded on my SW Priority. I'm trying to find out it just sees a charge for an upgraded boarding to use one of the 4 free passes or if the system is specifically looking WHO the upgraded boarding is for 🙂

If the charge hits your card it is reimbursed by Chase. You can use your card to buy it for anyone you like.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kbs915 wrote:

Yes, it should work as described, it has for me.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I 100% upgraded my daughter on one flight and got the credit next statement.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.