Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$460 cancelled COVID flight, I can only use $50 to rebook?!?!?!?!?

daniele1
Explorer C

Had a vacation planned for April 2020.  Thanks to Covid that didn't happen.  Tried to rebook vacation, but had to cancel rebooking due to second wave and lockdown.  Trying to rebook vacation for October 2021 and now I only have $50 in travel funds.  All other credits have expired.  I have not used any of the original $460.  I am just trying to book a flight.  My friends have already rebooked through United with no issues.  Southwest said we would have until September 2021 to use the money from cancelled flights.  Please someone help I am beyond frustrated and upset.  I booked with Southwest because they advertise that they care about customer service and it seems like all my friends that booked on Spirit/United are getting much better customer service.  Please help I am just trying not to lose this $410 its a lot of money.  Can anyone help me book this flight?  

Anyone that reads this if you see no responses and just excuses it tells you everything you need to know about Southwest.  $460 spent and no flight so far...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: $460 cancelled COVID flight, I can only use $50 to rebook?!?!?!?!?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@daniele1 wrote:

Had a vacation planned for April 2020.  Thanks to Covid that didn't happen.  Tried to rebook vacation, but had to cancel rebooking due to second wave and lockdown.  Trying to rebook vacation for October 2021 and now I only have $50 in travel funds.  All other credits have expired.  I have not used any of the original $460.  I am just trying to book a flight.  My friends have already rebooked through United with no issues.  Southwest said we would have until September 2021 to use the money from cancelled flights.  Please someone help I am beyond frustrated and upset.  I booked with Southwest because they advertise that they care about customer service and it seems like all my friends that booked on Spirit/United are getting much better customer service.  Please help I am just trying not to lose this $410 its a lot of money.  Can anyone help me book this flight?  

Anyone that reads this if you see no responses and just excuses it tells you everything you need to know about Southwest.  $460 spent and no flight so far...

As I mentioned in your previous post: We're all just customers like you here. (This is primarily a customer-to-customer forum.) You'll need to reach out to Southwest directly for any official reply or assistance.

Our advice, as mentioned in that other thread, remains: If your funds are expired (sounds like that's the case) you can reach out to Customer Relations (not the regular phone line) and request that they be reissued as a Voucher. You have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request, and the Voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue, usable by anyone, but only for the airfare portion of travel (not any taxes or fees). This would at least allow you to recover some of the value from your expired funds.

Good luck!

Contact Customer Relations 

(I recommend via Twitter or Facebook direct message)

daniele1
Explorer C

It sucks so much because I pay extra to use southwest hoping that they would resolve an issue like this.  My best friend already rebooked through United.  $410 is a lot of money to be out.  Any customers on here that read this please take it as a warning.  I have never even once asked for my money back, I am just trying to book a flight and they keep saying sorry nothing we can do.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@daniele1 wrote:

It sucks so much because I pay extra to use southwest hoping that they would resolve an issue like this.  My best friend already rebooked through United.  $410 is a lot of money to be out.  Any customers on here that read this please take it as a warning.  I have never even once asked for my money back, I am just trying to book a flight and they keep saying sorry nothing we can do.  

I totally understand. Unfortunately, Southwest's covid accommodations were somewhat arbitrarily offered, leaving many customers like yourself disappointed. Those whose flights were canceled during the roughly 6-month covered period received a generous extension and the option to convert to points, but those customers whose flight cancellation or rebooking fell outside of that period -- those who in a good faith effort were actually hoping to still travel -- received nothing. It's unfortunate, and it's very disappointing. But with Southwest losing something like $12 million every day for many months as they just tried to keep their operations afloat, it's perhaps understandable from a bean-counter perspective. Not a justification, just an explanation.

daniele1
Explorer C

Theyve also had record profits for the past 10 years.  It also got 3.2 billion dollars from the Goverment in the cares package.  I hope someone from southwest is willing to help me.  If not I will continue posting everywhere I can as a warning to whomever and also because it just sucks so much to be out $460.  Especially considering my friends that used other airlines have already rebooked.  Thanks for listening its been a really frustrating few days.