Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A not so sincere apology

jdblackdog
Explorer C

I was caught up in the bulk cancelations of flights in December of 2022 which made national news. I had a total of 5 reservations to fly from FL to CT. Finding alternate options took time away from our travel plans and it cost us a lot more money, but we pushed through it. We were lucky to find something. To that point Southwest had a great track record with me and I found myself defending how I'm usually onetime and have had very little issues within their control. I was happy to see the CEO offered a public apology and offered flight credits. Excited to fly the family out west this winter, I started to book my family tickets this summer to find that the credits had already expired as I didn't take the email with credit codes for each of us to log onto a site and claim them. Yes, it was in the fine print writing that I didn't see, but it's ridiculous a code is issued to get another code. They sent an email with the exact number of passengers and gave each voucher numbers. Why go to that level to then have to get another code? When I called client services to see if there is something I could do, I was told it was too late. That was over $1,000 in credits which were lost. I feel sending codes with expirations had an alternate plan of not having to payout everyone. A credit should be just that with no timeline for what families like ours had to go through. The main reason of my post which I never do is to warn others to look hard at the fine print. You may not receive what's advertised unless you look over every detail.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: A not so sincere apology

dfwskier
Aviator A

"The main reason of my post which I never do is to warn others to look hard at the fine print"

Yup, it is always advisable to understand the terms and condtions.

People are responsible for their actions -- or inactions.

Re: A not so sincere apology

floridaguy
Aviator C

You raise a good point.  If the $1,000 was intended as compensation for the HOLIDAY DISASTER then you could argue that those credits shouldn't expire.  

I would be a proponent of extending the time on the $1,000 credits, or surrender them for cash at 50% of face value.