Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Allegedly no phone record of my cancellation

sashalung
Explorer C

Two days ago, I called SWA to request the cancellation of my outbound flight to LAS because my son fell ill, and, when I tested myself, the T line on my  COVID test was sort of pinkish. I still wanted to keep my inbound (return) flight but didn't know how to manage it on the website. A customer service representative informed me that my reservation was canceled, and the miles would be credited back to my account.

However, yesterday, shortly after my original flight departed, I received an email stating that I had forfeited my miles by not canceling in time. When I called SWA today, a young lady accused me of lying and claimed that I never called to cancel. I have been a loyal customer for approximately 30 years, hold two credit cards with SWA, and this is the treatment I receive.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. We have no control over their phone records; moreover, their phone system doesn't even allow outgoing calls (I was disconnected from the representative three times today, and nobody called me back). Yet, they expect us to believe that their records are flawless.

Punishing clients for being cautious and choosing not to board planes when they aren't feeling 100% seems strange, to say the least.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Allegedly no phone record of my cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sashalung wrote:

If you've ben a loyal Southwest customer for 30 years, you surely know that you get a cancellation confirmation e-mail SECONDS after you cancel a flight. 

Did you not think it a bit strange that you did not get one?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sashalung wrote:

Two days ago, I called SWA to request the cancellation of my outbound flight to LAS because my son fell ill, and, when I tested myself, the T line on my  COVID test was sort of pinkish. I still wanted to keep my inbound (return) flight but didn't know how to manage it on the website. A customer service representative informed me that my reservation was canceled, and the miles would be credited back to my account.

However, yesterday, shortly after my original flight departed, I received an email stating that I had forfeited my miles by not canceling in time. When I called SWA today, a young lady accused me of lying and claimed that I never called to cancel. I have been a loyal customer for approximately 30 years, hold two credit cards with SWA, and this is the treatment I receive.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. We have no control over their phone records; moreover, their phone system doesn't even allow outgoing calls (I was disconnected from the representative three times today, and nobody called me back). Yet, they expect us to believe that their records are flawless.

Punishing clients for being cautious and choosing not to board planes when they aren't feeling 100% seems strange, to say the least.

If you used your cell phone take a screenshot of the phone call with the number and duration showing that you had a long call with them at that time.

Make sure that they didn't cancel the wrong flight - i.e. the things you think should be remaining are still in your account.

Sidebar: always book one-way flights and it will be easier to self-service online when things like this come up.

In fact my wife is on the phone right now to cancel one leg of a RT flight and the wait time is three hours. If only she listened to my advice on this too. 🙂

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sashalung
Explorer C

Thank you for those wise words. I will do that in the future. It did not even cross my mind. Never had an issue with SWA before.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@sashalung wrote:

In fact my wife is on the phone right now to cancel one leg of a RT flight and the wait time is three hours. If only she listened to my advice on this too. 🙂

The system issues yesterday made it hard to get though on the phone you should be able to cancel one leg on the app though. 

and you mean you didn’t share your A List phone number with your wife

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@sashalung wrote:

The system issues yesterday made it hard to get though on the phone you should be able to cancel one leg on the app though. 

and you mean you didn’t share your A List phone number with your wife

I asked if I could send it in via social media...yes, and done in five minutes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Share your phone log with Southwest and ask for the recorded call to be reviewed.  You should have record of the date/time of the call.