Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Any 50% deals generally offered around Christmas?

cbcrompton
Explorer B

Hey does anyone know if SW does any deals like the WOW 50% off around Christmas time? Waiting on my husband to get his CP and was hoping we could take advantage of another deal like this then. 

also, you can book through the WOW deal and then rebook with same price later with points right? 

thanks!  

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Any 50% deals generally offered around Christmas?

dfwskier
Aviator A

most airlines do not put holidays on sale,

You can take advantage of WOW fare points flights but have to book by tomorrow.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cbcrompton wrote:

Hey does anyone know if SW does any deals like the WOW 50% off around Christmas time? Waiting on my husband to get his CP and was hoping we could take advantage of another deal like this then. 

also, you can book through the WOW deal and then rebook with same price later with points right? 

thanks!  

No need to wait = have your husband buy any WOW deals that you see now, you can add the companion pass later when he earns it. 

CP ticket can be added anytime, you don't have to add it when the original ticket is booked.

If there is any doubt about the companion pass earning, book your ticket with points now through the sale. Then when CP is earned, you can refund the points and make the CP booking. If CP isn't earned, you have your ticket on sale with the points.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cbcrompton
Explorer B

Ok I probably need to clarify. I have CP but we have 2 kids. So if I book my companion and buy both our kids tickets now, can he make one of them his companion in January when he earns it even though I’m the one who purchased the tickets? Sorry! i know this seems confusing 

bec102896
Aviator A

You can book your kids on points then once he gets the CP in January add the kid as a Companion then cancel the points ticket I personally like to hold the seats with points since it’s refundable and this insures the flight doesn’t sell out 

cbcrompton
Explorer B

Thank you! That makes sense!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cbcrompton wrote:

Ok I probably need to clarify. I have CP but we have 2 kids. So if I book my companion and buy both our kids tickets now, can he make one of them his companion in January when he earns it even though I’m the one who purchased the tickets? Sorry! i know this seems confusing 

I'm leaning towards "no" here - if your husband is your companion, then the companion can't also use a companion pass on the same ticket. You can only add the companion ticket for revenue fares booked with cash, points, etc.

So if both adults will be companion pass holders, the companions should be the kids at least during the period of time the family is traveling together. (You can change the companion three times during the year - but can only change it when there isn't any companion pass booked.)

The way we do it is each parent gets a kid as companion then you'll buy tickets for both adults, and add the kid companion tickets when you earn the CP (one now, one later it sounds like).

In one weird scenario on a promotional companion pass we had one kid have the CP and little kiddo was the companion of the older one but that was a one off.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cbcrompton
Explorer B

Wow the little kid scenario sounds awesome too! Thanks for all of the tips. 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@cbcrompton wrote:

Hey does anyone know if SW does any deals like the WOW 50% off around Christmas time?

I echo @DancingDavidE 

Likely no sales during the Christmas peak travel season as most travel dates during this time are blacked out from deals. However, don't give up hope! Here's some additional tips that I use to save some money while traveling:

• If you plan on spending at least $500 in Southwest airfare (any class) and you are a member of Sam's Club, they currently have the $500 Southwest Gift Card on sale for $450...10% off. Since this is a full value $500 gift card, this 'deal' can be combined with Southwest offers with no blackouts. Costco had a similar sale last spring and I used the gift card in conjunction with Southwest's fare deals to save some big money during the peak summer travel season. TQP Points are also still earned if paying airfare by gift card too.
  • Bring an empty reusable water bottle. Bottled water and drinks sold at the airport can get very pricey! Just make sure it's completely empty when going through TSA. Also consider eating your meals offsite before heading to the airport.
  • If your trips involve staying at a hotel, consider booking with either Southwest Hotels or Rocket Miles and shop/reserve a Points Plus property which can net you some generous Rapid Rewards points good toward airfare (and Companion Pass). I've also been able to find good base pricing even on Friday and Saturday nights in hot tourist spots where hotel pricing can get excessively high. If the hotel offers a full free breakfast, that too can save you some big money on meal costs, especially on return day. I've been able to snag anywhere from 500-2,000 Rapid Reward Points per night during my last few hotel stays.
  • If your trip involves a car rental, consider renting off-site or through an alternative provider by researching the market and public transit options at the destination city. Car rental prices from the airport are usually marked up and generally higher than off-site locations.
  • Lastly, if your trip spans several days, have somebody or a ground service take you to the airport because parking costs at the airport can add up! SAN for example charges $38 per 24 hours at the time of this post. I've always loved getting around the huge airport parking fees at SAN by parking offsite in a safe San Diego neighborhood for free that allows overnight parking, riding a San Diego MTS freeway Express bus into town and to the airport for $2.50-$5 each way. I had a business trip last May in Vegas and my boss was happy to not see a $76 parking fee on my trip expense report!

Safe travels!

cbcrompton
Explorer B

Thank you thank you!