Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancelling a leg of flight cost more than booking a round trip flight to catch the leg

mockerfab4
Explorer C

So I booked a really good fare for a 1-way flight from KOA to PHX. It has a stopover in HNL.

I want to change my trip slightly and visit my friend in HNL. To do that I wanted to change my flight so I cancel the KOA to HNL leg. 

SWA wants to charge me $85 for changing my flight so it's only HNL to PHX . Or I can book another flight to take me back to KOA to save $45. What a waste of jet fuel and a seat they can charge someone else for instead of me just to save that. 

I'm willing to do it, but why are there no exceptions or thought put into that when trying to make changes so customers can save money and the airlines can maximize their revenues?

SWA gives us less refunds when they cancel a flight on us last minute, messing up our entire plans, but we as customers have to pay more to do the same to them. Seems unfair...

Any suggestions on what I should do? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancelling a leg of flight cost more than booking a round trip flight to catch the leg

dfwskier
Aviator A

Every airline has standard pricing for the routes it flies

Point A to point C  costs $X

Point B to point C costs $Y

That's just the way it is. When an airline flies over 100,000,000 people a year it really is not capable of making "special deals" with you or the tens of thousands of others that want them.

Standard pricing prevails.

Re: Cancelling a leg of flight cost more than booking a round trip flight to catch the leg

jksobonya
Aviator A

@mockerfab4 wrote:

I'm willing to do it, but why are there no exceptions or thought put into that when trying to make changes so customers can save money and the airlines can maximize their revenues?

There are numerous factors that go into flying any particular route - sometimes it's more expensive when you make a change, but sometimes it isn't. There's no easy answer for this one. 

--Jessica

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Make the changes if your objective is to see a friend, everything else is just static along the way.

If I understand correctly you'll end up with 3 flights instead of 2, that ultimately is a benefit for A list status anyway