Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Has anyone notice that this summer southwest has higher fares than other airlines??

Will0329
Explorer B

Since July 2015 I have been flying southwest between seattle and burbank,California. Southwest used to have want to get away fares for $65 to $100 oneway on this route.

This summer southwest is charging $300 or $400 omeway for a want to get away fare.

Southwest only offers connecting service on the burbank to seattle route.

Alaska now for this summer is much cheaper than southwest for a non stop flight from seattle to burbank.

Alaska charges $129 for a coach ticket and $300 for a 1st class ticket oneway.

Alaskas 1st class includes 2 free checked bags and is fully refundable too. 

I like southwest and have been flying them between burbank to seattle for many many years.

At $300 or $400 for a want to get away fare with connecting service between burbank and seattle southwest seems over priced and a rip off!!

Will southwest ever offer want to get away fares between seattle and burbank for $65 to $100 omeway again??

1 REPLY 1

Re: Has anyone notice that this summer southwest has higher fares than other airlines??

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B

They do have the cheap fares but it depends on when you are flying and you do need to make sure to watch for their sales;  I have a $74 flight from PDX to BUR that I booked about a month ago during a sale but is in Nov.  If you are looking for a summer fare, those are probably long gone.  They typically price aggressively early and fill up. Prices are typically cheaper on a Tuesday so check then.  Prices also fluctuate, which can make it difficult to plan for.  For example I wanted to go to Hawaii in Dec put the outbound flight from PDX was so high, much higher than other airlines, over $600 one way.  After one of their sales had ended the price dropped $300 and I was able to get it with points, but the price was around $300 if I had purchased.  For me, Alaska tends to be higher.  I would really like to fly them from PDX to Reno because they are direct but they start high (most likely because not much competition) and continue to just go up.  With the companion pass, it usually makes more sense for me to take SW with a connection or fly to SMF then to pay the Alaska price for 2 people.