Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Have you ever been unable to add a companion 2-3 weeks out?

quant
Explorer C

I've had companion pass for about three years, and I find myself not bothering to check for price drops on flights with my companion added because of the extra step to cancel and rebook them if I need to make changes.

If I left my companion off the booking until like 2-3 weeks before my flight, am I running a serious risk of the flight selling out?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Have you ever been unable to add a companion 2-3 weeks out?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If you would be kind enough to provide the routing, date of travel and time of travel, I might be able to give you an learned opinion. Absent that information the answer to your question is "Who Knows"

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@quant wrote:

I've had companion pass for about three years, and I find myself not bothering to check for price drops on flights with my companion added because of the extra step to cancel and rebook them if I need to make changes.

If I left my companion off the booking until like 2-3 weeks before my flight, am I running a serious risk of the flight selling out?

If you go to pretend book the flight and try to book eight WGA tickets and see if you are allowed - if so then probably you can go ahead and cancel and then re-add the companion comfortably. Adjust your behavior if the flight seems to be about to sell out or sold out. 

If you do get stuck though keep checking at T-24 hours you'll get some people who are reminded of their flight and forgot about it and cancel shortly after that, or become open to make same day changes, and then the same day people start making changes and/or get delayed and re-routed - I've added companion tickets while at the airport checking in before, it's very uncomfortable but often a seat will free up at the last minute if you keep checking. I don't recommend this, just offering that even if your flight did sell out there would still be a chance to recover.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@quant wrote:

If you go to pretend book the flight and try to book eight WGA tickets and see if you are allowed

Thanks to @bec102896  for the original idea about the "eight ticket check" method.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@quant wrote:

If you go to pretend book the flight and try to book eight WGA tickets and see if you are allowed

Thanks to @bec102896  for the original idea about the "eight ticket check" method.

@DancingDavidE 

You can actually do 9 now 😂

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B

If it is a popular route or time of year (like Christmas or Hawaii) then I would not risk it and would add the companion.