Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Navigating Southwest: Seeking Advice in the Community

OwenAsher
Explorer C

Hello Southwest enthusiasts!

I hope this message finds you well. As a passionate traveler and Southwest Airlines fan, I find myself in need of some guidance. I'm planning an upcoming trip and would love to tap into the wealth of knowledge within the Southwest community.

My question is regarding the best practices for maximizing the benefits of Southwest's Rapid Rewards program. Are there any seasoned travelers out there who have discovered unique tips or tricks to earn more points, or perhaps optimize their redemptions for the best value?

Your insights and experiences are invaluable, and I'm eager to hear from fellow Southwest aficionados. Feel free to share your wisdom and help a fellow traveler plan the perfect Southwest adventure.

Thank you in advance for your contributions, and happy travels to you all!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Navigating Southwest: Seeking Advice in the Community

dfwskier
Aviator A

There are few ways to max out points with the airline  itself -- there are with partners. Book hotels thru SW. Some offer outrageous point bonuses -- up to 10k RR points. Car rentals will get you between 600 and 1200 points. You can get points by shopping thru the Sw portal, and by dining at restaurants that are part of the SW dining program.

You can sign up for a SW Chase credit card - currently offering 75K RR points - with a spend requirement to get the points.

OwenAsher
Explorer C

@dfwskier wrote:

There are few ways to max out points with the airline  itself -- there are with partners. Book hotels thru SW. Some offer outrageous point bonuses -- up to 10k RR points. Car rentals will get you between 600 and 1200 points. You can get points by shopping thru the Sw portal, and by dining at restaurants that are part of the SW dining program. Character Map

You can sign up for a SW Chase credit card - currently offering 75K RR points - with a spend requirement to get the points.

Thanks for the guidance!

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@dfwskier wrote:

Book hotels thru SW. Some offer outrageous point bonuses -- up to 10k RR points. Car rentals will get you between 600 and 1200 points.

Ditto on the hotels.

SW Hotels Sample.png

RocketMiles is good backup too if your favorite hotel doesn't return as a SW Hotels Points Plus property:

Rocket Miles Sample.png

https://www.southwesthotels.com/

https://rocketmiles.com

Before you book, just do a quick price comparison via a direct booking inquiry and a Trivago or Google search. Also check the hotel's website for any resort, parking or other junk fees. That way, you'll know whether the points bonus is worth it. Based on my experience, most are worth it and I've been able to lock in some great deals with prices lower than booking direct, but I've also seen some offers that where either the base cost or fees were inflated and I said "no". I'll also toggle the "Free Cancellation" filter too.

Merry Christmas and safe travels!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@OwenAsher wrote:

Hello Southwest enthusiasts!

I hope this message finds you well. As a passionate traveler and Southwest Airlines fan, I find myself in need of some guidance. I'm planning an upcoming trip and would love to tap into the wealth of knowledge within the Southwest community.

My question is regarding the best practices for maximizing the benefits of Southwest's Rapid Rewards program. Are there any seasoned travelers out there who have discovered unique tips or tricks to earn more points, or perhaps optimize their redemptions for the best value?

Your insights and experiences are invaluable, and I'm eager to hear from fellow Southwest aficionados. Feel free to share your wisdom and help a fellow traveler plan the perfect Southwest adventure.

Thank you in advance for your contributions, and happy travels to you all!

Can you describe the upcoming trip a little more? That would help with any ticket booking, cars, hotels advice.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.