Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wrong Guest name on Southwest Hotel Reservation

Cabahr
Explorer C

I book through Southwest Hotels often to get extra points for the companion pass.  I just booked a resort stay and for a nonrefundable (nonchangeable) stay.  After I booked, I noticed that my computer auto populated my husband's name on the reservation.  I called SWA and they said they cannot make the change, but when I get to the hotel, I can change it when I check in.  Has anyone had success doing this before?  I am going to be so bummed if I don't get the points for the stay.  😞

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Wrong Guest name on Southwest Hotel Reservation

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Cabahr wrote:

I book through Southwest Hotels often to get extra points for the companion pass.  I just booked a resort stay and for a nonrefundable (nonchangeable) stay.  After I booked, I noticed that my computer auto populated my husband's name on the reservation.  I called SWA and they said they cannot make the change, but when I get to the hotel, I can change it when I check in.  Has anyone had success doing this before?  I am going to be so bummed if I don't get the points for the stay.  😞

Hola!

I'm a frequent user of Southwest Hotels. Southwest Airlines Customer Service cannot directly handle Southwest Hotels bookings as the hotel portal is partnered through Booking.com. Issues with any bookings would be done through the SW Hotels Concierge contacts. I would call the SW Hotels Concierge number that is listed on the bottom of your confirmation email to see if they can assist you in getting the guest name changed for your reservation (or alternatively, since you just booked this reservation, see if they can void the transaction in question before it posts to your statement). The error appears to be a buyer responsibility but hopefully the rep can understand the autofill issue and grant an exception for you.

Cabahr
Explorer C

Hello,

I did call the concierge line the following morning (when I noticed) and they rejected my request.  That is when they told me to change the guest name at the hotel when I check in (next month).  I am just curious if this is going to work, or if they are just brushing me off.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Cabahr wrote:

Hello,

I did call the concierge line the following morning (when I noticed) and they rejected my request.  That is when they told me to change the guest name at the hotel when I check in (next month).  I am just curious if this is going to work, or if they are just brushing me off.

Oh no...

Looks like at this point, I would contact the hotel directly but not wait until check-in day. I would send them an email now (so this is all in writing) and describe the circumstance and ask the question so that you can confirm in writing that you'll at least get your room. I can't say for sure but there's a possibility the hotel may be able to accommodate with opening a case with Booking.com to authorize a cancellation without charge given this circumstance but I can't speak for the hotel. It's their decision. I would ask the question though.

It appears this is now at the hotel's discretion at this point and if they say "no", the points may be out of the question. Hopefully, they can at least get you the room. Give this a try by emailing them. You'll have your answer in writing and what to do when you check in.

Travel Tip: SW Hotels is great source to bank on huge CP-Eligible points. However, I understand there are very limited buyer protections involved when dealing with non-refundable bookings. Unlike air travel bookings in the USA, there is no federal 24-hour grace period law for erroneous hotel reservations made in advance; the buyer is at the mercy of the booking site and hotel for these non-refundable transactions. Until there is a universal 24-hour grace period law in place (which I would support as a buyer), going forward, I would pay the extra few bucks for the Free Cancellation benefit. It will save you a bunch of trouble for a variety of reasons. I've used this benefit a few times whenever I review my bookings and find better pricing or points bonuses.

Hope this helps!

floridaguy
Aviator C

The ultimate consumer tool is the credit card dispute backed up by Federal law.  If you make a convincing argument, in writing, then you will likely get a credit for all or a portion of your purchase.

By using the credit card dispute process, the merchant is on the defensive rather than you being on the defensive.

Cabahr
Explorer C

Thank you @SoCalFlyer97  and @floridaguy 

Both great ideas.

This is a huge lesson learned for me.  I think I will definitely stay clear of the non-refundable bookings from now on.